Lars Fosdal

The Delphi 11.2 release thread

33 minutes ago, dwrbudr said:

They say "Operating System Requirements", if it is not a requirement then why bother to write it at all.

How do you know that the IDE will still work in such an unsupported environment when all possible options are installed?

Anyway, if the glitch in the wording of the install notes is all to criticize, it must be a near to perfect release.

• Like 2

Had similar errors for FMXLinux packages when I did the 11.2 install. I just clicked OK and continued on and made sure to install FMX Linux in GetIt before doing work in the IDE. Enough was installed that I could do the rest by launching Delphi and using the Platform Manager and GetIt there.

After so many versions and the Parnassus issues - it would be great if they finally could fix it properly 😕

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Tommi Prami said:

To me quite the opposite, just the release we needed. Quality updates should come more frequently IMHO.

Definitely. It's not that some of the things that are in the release isn't nice but given the fact that this major release is a year old today I guess I just expected something more. If there had been a roadmap I wouldn't have had these apparently unrealistic expectations.

Anyway, it is what it is. No big deal - yet.

1 hour ago, Uwe Raabe said:

How do you know that the IDE will still work in such an unsupported environment when all possible options are installed?

Because they know if they introduced new dependencies (at least they should know). And presumably they have beta testers using these environments.

6 minutes ago, Anders Melander said:

Because they know if they introduced new dependencies (at least they should know).

That's probably the reason why the don't include Windows 8.1 as a supported platform.

2 minutes ago, Uwe Raabe said:

That's probably the reason why the don't include Windows 8.1 as a supported platform.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Do you mean that there are dependencies which requires Windows 10?

I could understand if they explicitly excluded support for Windows 8.x since it's probably impossible to find anyone running that of their own free will.

I haven't installed 11.2 but I haven't had any problems with prior versions and I'm running Windows 7...

1 hour ago, Anders Melander said:

Do you mean that there are dependencies which requires Windows 10?

At least one cannot rule out that. Some dependencies are lazy loaded and fail on older Windows versions only when some specific action is taken or module is activated. I have no concrete example for that, but it is similar to the supported target platforms: Depending on what you do in your application it may still run on unsupported systems, but fail when some function is executed that requires a newer one. The fact that it runs on Windows 7 in your case doesn't mean it does so for everyone.

2 minutes ago, Uwe Raabe said:

At least one cannot rule out that.

Yes, we can't rule it out. My point was that they should be able to unless their developers are a bunch of cowboys.

Upgraded my two machines from Delphi 11.1 to 11.2 (No Android. No IOs. No Linux).  Web Install, keeping registry settings.

Issues I noticed so far are:

Both machines have GExperts Add-in.  I usually always disable GExperts before using GetIt or reinstalling, or anything that will restart the IDE, as it always causes a crash on restart.  On the first machine I forgot and I got an error message.  I rebooted and no lasting issues.

Library path for 64-bit was reset to defaults.

I did have to reinstall my GetIt packages (in my case, Konopka Signature VCL Controls and LockBox)

Refactoring is still broken if your code declares inline variables.  I use Refactor | Rename a lot, but this does not work in files that have inline variables, so I can’t/don’t use inline variables.  Please Embarcadero, fix this.  It has been years.

My code executables grew slightly, not enough to care.

Previous issue that was in 11.1 with changing Build Group configuration is fixed.

My custom toolbar buttons were retained for once.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ralf Kaiser said:

What i do not quite understand (applies to former releases too):

I am using the ISO to install and would expect that everything is contained in this 6GB but at installation time the setup constantly downloads data.

Are you sure these are actual downloads? Maybe the installer treats reading from the ISO as "download".

Edited by dummzeuch

7 hours ago, dwrbudr said:

They say "Operating System Requirements", if it is not a requirement then why bother to write it at all.

Basically legalese I think. They guarantee it will run on the platform mentioned but you can probably run on older platforms, but on your own risk.

4 hours ago, Anders Melander said:

I could understand if they explicitly excluded support for Windows 8.x since it's probably impossible to find anyone running that of their own free will.

I actually still have got a Windows 8.1 installation (VM) around and I don't plan to update it to 10 ever. But that's not because I am a big fan of Windows 8, I just don't want to break a currently working environment.

I'm not sure whether I want to try installing Delphi 11.2 on it though - because "working environment", you know.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Anders Melander said:

Yes, we can't rule it out. My point was that they should be able to unless their developers are a bunch of cowboys.

They should, but only for their own code. But don't forget: They are in stalling quite a bunch of 3rd party components e.g. to support all those new fangled platforms. If Google or Apple say their SDK requires Windows 10, how can Embarcadero say, Delphi will not?

5 hours ago, dummzeuch said:

If Google or Apple say their SDK requires Windows 10, how can Embarcadero say, Delphi will not?

Fair enough; Then state that these platforms requires Windows 10.

8 hours ago, rgdawson said:

I use Refactor | Rename a lot, but this does not work in files that have inline variables, so I can’t/don’t use inline variables.  Please Embarcadero, fix this.  It has been years.

I assume you'll have to wait a few more years.  Even if they introduce new refactoring in the next release, it won't be feature complete or stable for awhile.

On 9/8/2022 at 3:10 PM, Dalija Prasnikar said:

That is known (reported issue). There is some problem with migrating or applying Welcome screen layout after migration.

When you launch IDE click Edit Layout on Welcome Screen. Reset Welcome Screen to default layout and then adjust it again the way you like it.

Thank you, Now it works perfectly!

It seems that automatic scrolling of TScrollBox with mouse wheel is not working anymore in 11.2. This feature was introduced in 11.0 and worked fine in 11.1.

Edited by albi77
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Updated from 11.1 to 11.2 using the on-line installer.

It deinstalled 11.1 OK but when it went to start to install 11.2 it kept falling over giving an error about loading Parnassus Bookmarks.

I deleted the Bookmarks registry entry at Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Embarcadero\BDS\22.0\Experts and the install worked.

I reinstalled the GetIt stuff and am back in business. 🙂

Hello. I've updated to 11.2 and I found that there was a new version of fastreport in Getit, so I updated it also.

We use runtime packages, and when a user tries to run a program compiled with 11.2 he gets an error

No se encuentra el punto de entrada del procedimiento @Frxlistboxrtti@initialization$qqrv

Is that expected or fastreport bpls are not compatible even though they have the same name frx280.bpl?

Thanks

It should be compatible, there are some corner cases where it is not. After update you should recompile everything (bpl+exe) just to be sure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lajos Juhász said:

It should be compatible, there are some corner cases where it is not. After update you should recompile everything (bpl+exe) just to be sure.

We have many applications. If we leave any of them in current version with 11.1 and deploy the new bpls it fails. And if we update any exe and leave the old bpl we also get same error.

IMO, they should have renamed it to frx281.bpl. We still have to decide if upgrading is worthy enough and this doesn't help.

Edited by jesu

It should be simply a build for every application. 
So far I have no choice as with every version some bugs are fixed and new are introduced that forces to move to even newer version and hope that (n+1)!  will be stable for the applications I am working on.

(For me it's easier as application on D11 are still in release candidates. New versions while the stable versions are compiled with XE5.)

28 minutes ago, jesu said:

We have many applications. If we leave any of them in current version with 11.1 and deploy the new bpls it fails. And if we update any exe and leave the old bpl we also get same error.

IMO, they should have renamed it to frx281.bpl. We still have to decide if upgrading is worthy enough and this doesn't help.

You can put the BPLs in the same directory as the EXE and always deploy both. You lose some of the sharing between unrelated executables but avoid extra testing and issues like this when there is a new release of Delphi or some third party library. The incompatibilities are usually fixed given some time but having to wait on them can cause it's own issues like delaying your own testing and/or deployment.

I rarely use runtime packages but when I do they are only shared between executables built and deployed at the same time. For applications with long lives it keeps them from breaking when other installers change common files or even delete them on uninstall.