Lars Fosdal

The Delphi 11.2 release thread

If I understand it correctly this is a FastReport issue caused by a new version. So if you opt to update FastReport you have to compile your appication with the new dcp files and deploy it together with the new bpl files.

Nevertheless, you should be able to keep it compatible by using the old FastReport dcp files when compiling the project.

On 9/9/2022 at 6:17 PM, dummzeuch said:

Are you sure these are actual downloads? Maybe the installer treats reading from the ISO as "download".

I am not really sure. The setup displays "Downloading..."  and it takes a quite long time. A simple copy operation from the ISO with only the wrong status message should be much faster (but: i have not tried to repat the installation just to check this)

OT: BPL hell. I build monolithic applications. copy the exe anywhere and run it. Never even considered using dll or bpl "technology". All I ever see is drawbacks to this kind of software development.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Sherlock said:

All I ever see is drawbacks to this kind of software development.

There are types of applications that benefit a lot from this concept, where I can hardly imagine how it would be without it. Just to name a few I heavily work with: Delphi IDE, RAD Server and FinalBuilder.

• Like 1

It was very helpful 20 years ago when many users had slow connections. In some cases we've deployed more than 50 versions of an exe based in the same Delphi version and the same bpls. Nowadays most users have fast connections, but we still have some users that have a slow connection or occassionally connect to a slow wifi

Still having great trouble with Code Insight in 11.2. The problems begun with Delphi 11 (and 11.1), and it seems they have not been fixed in 11.2. 

Code insight is working very erratically - usually not at all (ctrl-space does nothing, even when waiting for a long time), but sometimes it works for a while after IDE restart. This is really frustrating, since code completion is basically the main reason to use an IDE. This feels like coding with Notepad.

Addition: In many cases when ctrl-space actually does something, the drop-down toolbox only shows templates and nothing concerning the actual function/class context. 

Any tips?

Edited by Veikko Nurmonen
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Veikko Nurmonen said:

Any tips?

I got one when commenting on this forum open an RSP ticket.

(Edit. My current bug that I am unable to create a test case is when frame is marked as object instead of inline in the DFM. )

Edited by Lajos Juhász

10 minutes ago, Veikko Nurmonen said:

Code insight is working very erratically - usually not at all (ctrl-space does nothing, even when waiting for a long time), but sometimes it works for a while after IDE restart.

I can confirm this 👿.

It stops working unpredictably. IDE restart helps. Sometimes it stops working when I ctrl+click a method or property to look to its source, and so, some other (library) unit opens as a result of this click.

From time to time I see many red-line errors in strange places, for example it can mark TComponent or TForm identifiers as errors, while the code itself is compilable.

So I turned off Auto invoke and am using CnPack. I rarely need to run an LSP.
It is OK for me.
My experience is that LSP does not remember history.

On 9/16/2022 at 2:23 PM, Sherlock said:

OT: BPL hell. I build monolithic applications. copy the exe anywhere and run it. Never even considered using dll or bpl "technology". All I ever see is drawbacks to this kind of software development.

If only it were possible to build C/C++ OBJ files inside the EXE without hassle...

3 hours ago, balabuev said:

IDE restart helps.

Next time please try if just closing and reopening the project is sufficient.

So, I should conclude that Delphi language LSP in Delphi 11 is very very unsatisfying! It stops working unpredictably, and not even as a result of code changing, but in many cases simply after library units opening in the IDE. And I cannot see a list of properties/methods of an object expression, I cannot use Ctrl+Click, etc. I often see "erroneous type". I often see that the drop-down list does not include all available properties, as shown below:

image.thumb.png.f9906afd70373a2cb97e909aa0be68cd.png

Reopening the project each time is not an acceptable workaround. Effectively this makes Delphi 11.2 useless!

So, whether anyone know, how to return to "old" way in 11.2? May be there is a way to setup a shortcut to "re-run" LSP?

Edited by balabuev

3 minutes ago, balabuev said:

Reopening the project each time is not an acceptable workaround. Effectively this makes Delphi 11.2 useless!

Did you try switching between Release/Debug config? It helps my projects and I don't need to do the close and re-open.

image.png.410d9eb95596248bbcfa6b0908787dcf.png

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mike Torrettinni said:

Did you try switching between Release/Debug config? It helps my projects and I don't need to do the close and re-open.

Thank for this hint. Did not checked yet, but it's definitely better than reopening the project.

1 minute ago, balabuev said:

Thank for this hint. Did not checked yet, but it's definitely better than reopening the project.

Let me know if it works for you. Sometimes I also switch between 32/64 platforms, because under 64bit it usually show more hints, if there are any hints.

5 minutes ago, Mike Torrettinni said:

Let me know if it works for you.

Just a minute ago it helped. Will test more.

32 minutes ago, balabuev said:

May be there is a way to setup a shortcut to "re-run" LSP?

Under Tools - Configure Tools add a new entry named Kill LSP with the following settings:

Code:
Program: taskkill
Parameters: /IM DelphiLSP.exe /F
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Uwe Raabe said:

Under Tools - Configure Tools add a new entry named Kill LSP with the following settings:

Code:

Can you please post that as Q/A on Stack Overflow. It will be more easily found there.

3 hours ago, Uwe Raabe said:

Code:

This works really well!

10 hours ago, Stano said:

I'm pissed too. They have stated on the WEB that the problem is solved.
RSP-39640.
https://quality.embarcadero.com/browse/RSP-39640

The resolution for the original report there is "cannot reproduce", which is accurate, given that the report claims that LSP does not work at all. This is a much more accurate report: https://quality.embarcadero.com/browse/RSP-39380

11 hours ago, Dave Nottage said:

The resolution for the original report there is "cannot reproduce", which is accurate, given that the report claims that LSP does not work at all. This is a much more accurate report: https://quality.embarcadero.com/browse/RSP-39380

This is spot on. Though I don't use Error Insight, the effect is of course also noticeable in Auto Completion. I never had any serious issues with LSP. But since 11.2 constantly. I kill the LSP on a regular basis now -very frustrating. Even the slightest change in a record can make the LSP go nuts. I get that in order to fix things, one must be able to reproduce the bug. But this is not some piece of code we can share and show the bug. It should not be that difficult for Embarcadero to create an example. Just put a lot of DevExpress components, TMS components (especially FlexCel for VCL), etc. in some silly project (it doesn't even have to work) and in no time they will have the same problem. They just need to make sure that the library paths reach the source code of those components.