Mark Billig

Application Position & Size

I got tired of positioning applications on my remote screen.  With RDP's full bar that appears in the top center nicely covering Outlook's search window.  I decided I needed a tool to make it easier, APS.  To select the application that I want to gather position and size info from or position an application I borrowed a component comp.reticle.  I have it working but it is not scaling properly.  I am trying to modify comp.reticle to handle the changing DPI.

image.thumb.png.c66e33f4da8d0c43e59d12a8c82c8ea2.png

The targets on the left were placed in from the IDE designer.  The targets on the right were added at runtime.  I am trying to figure out why it is different with the same component.

Short answer, during form create a scale to dpi is done.  If you create the controls after that method, you have to re-size them for dpi.

Try Vcl.Controls.TControl.ScaleForPPI

• Like 1

Thank you that helped.  I tried to adjust the Width & Height of the WindowReticle component but it still does not look like the right size.  Also is there a way to get the DPI variable from a system variable?

procedure TMainForm.AddGetSetFrame;
var
  TmpDPI: Integer;
begin
  TmpDPI := 96;
  SetLength(GetSetFrameA, Length(GetSetFrameA) + 1);
  GetSetFrameA[High(GetSetFrameA)] := TGetSetFrame.Create(FrameScrollBox);
  with GetSetFrameA[High(GetSetFrameA)] do
  begin
    Parent := FrameScrollBox;
    Top := High(GetSetFrameA) * Height + 5;
    Align := alTop;
    Name := 'GetSetFrame_' + IntToStr(High(GetSetFrameA));
    Tag := High(GetSetFrameA);
    PopupMenu := GSFramePopupMenu;

// Get
    GetSetFrameA[High(GetSetFrameA)].GSGetWindowReticle.Left := MulDiv(GetSetFrameA[High(GetSetFrameA)].GSGetWindowReticle.Left, Screen.PixelsPerInch, TmpDPI);
    GetSetFrameA[High(GetSetFrameA)].GSGetWindowReticle.Top := MulDiv(GetSetFrameA[High(GetSetFrameA)].GSGetWindowReticle.Top, Screen.PixelsPerInch, TmpDPI);
    GetSetFrameA[High(GetSetFrameA)].GSGetWindowReticle.Width := MulDiv(GetSetFrameA[High(GetSetFrameA)].GSGetWindowReticle.Width, Screen.PixelsPerInch, TmpDPI);
    GetSetFrameA[High(GetSetFrameA)].GSGetWindowReticle.Height := MulDiv(GetSetFrameA[High(GetSetFrameA)].GSGetWindowReticle.Height, Screen.PixelsPerInch, TmpDPI);
    GetSetFrameA[High(GetSetFrameA)].GSGetWindowReticle.ScaleForPPI(TmpDPI);

// Set
    GetSetFrameA[High(GetSetFrameA)].GSSetWindowReticle.Left := MulDiv(GetSetFrameA[High(GetSetFrameA)].GSSetWindowReticle.Left, Screen.PixelsPerInch, TmpDPI);
    GetSetFrameA[High(GetSetFrameA)].GSSetWindowReticle.Top := MulDiv(GetSetFrameA[High(GetSetFrameA)].GSSetWindowReticle.Top, Screen.PixelsPerInch, TmpDPI);
    GetSetFrameA[High(GetSetFrameA)].GSSetWindowReticle.Width := MulDiv(GetSetFrameA[High(GetSetFrameA)].GSSetWindowReticle.Width, Screen.PixelsPerInch, TmpDPI);
    GetSetFrameA[High(GetSetFrameA)].GSSetWindowReticle.Height := MulDiv(GetSetFrameA[High(GetSetFrameA)].GSSetWindowReticle.Height, Screen.PixelsPerInch, TmpDPI);
    GetSetFrameA[High(GetSetFrameA)].GSSetWindowReticle.ScaleForPPI(TmpDPI);
  end;
end;

Computer scale set at 100%

APS-Work.thumb.JPG.79a05dc80a8ee17c198b117577ccf1c3.JPG

Computer scale set at 150%

APS-Home.thumb.PNG.388bfc82a36e9a97f6587c898956139e.PNG

TFrame should have CurrentPPI.

To me that frame should be using grid panel (aligned client) with 3 columns, nest a grid panel in the 2nd column to layout all those number / spin edits. 

Let the grid panel / alignment / align with margins do the work, the re-sizing gets a lot more natural after that. 

It's not a good idea to use Screen.PixelsPerInch, with per-monitor DPI it will not work correctly on multi monitor setup with different dpi.

I got it figured out.  One of the problems was the WindowReticle was configured CanResize = False.  Thank you again for all of your help.  I need to post my updates to GitHub.

image.thumb.png.a9f893c9402943cb1bbcae0ac6c2362a.png