Rapid generics

19 hours ago, David Heffernan said:

That's not the same as starting from scratch.

Also, didn't you have trouble with bugs in you asm code in your bigint library? 

Of course. ASM is not the most easy to write, and there are no safeguards whatsoever.

But I didn't have many bugs, actually. I tend to plan such undertakings (and anything non-trivial is really an undertaking, in asm) before I write.

I just once had to ask on S.O. for advice on how to cope with slowdowns because of partial flag stalls (something I didn't know about and which is a hardware thing in some processors).

I'm beginning to feel like this thread should be renamed to "General discussion between masters of the art". And by all means, please continue. I really learn a lot by just reading and following up through secondary literature...

16 hours ago, Bill Meyer said:

The IDE can be set up in the new docked style, much like Delphi. Just a matter of installing the packages for it.

Perhaps, but that is 1. off-topic and 2. irrelevant to me. I still prefer Delphi.

And I don't want to (have to) install packages to get something Delphi has standard.

Edited by Rudy Velthuis

20 hours ago, David Heffernan said:

That's not the same as starting from scratch.

Also, didn't you have trouble with bugs in you asm code in your bigint library? 

FWIW, assembler has cetain things you can only mimic in higher level code, and no optimizing compiler can provide those things, no matter how good: access tothings like flags. Adding or subtracting two arrays of (unsigned) integers using carry/borrow and a few other things can only be mimicked in C, Pascal or any other HLL. Also, assembler uses gotos like mad, and it is almost impossible to properly mimic that in HLL.

I often had more problem with the PUREPASCAL portions of my BigInteger and other numeric code than with the asm. The asm was usually straightforward (but often tedious -- not something you would want to do in a noisy environment <g>) while PUREPASCAL had to mimic e.g. carry flags (In Win32, I had to divide up a 32 bit integer into 16 bit integers, using the other 16 bits of a UInt32 for overflow and carry, etc -- anything else, no matter how clever -- mimicking flags was much slower -- in Win64 I could use 64 bit integers for that). And doing this in C did not make any difference whatsoever (I have tried).

1 hour ago, Sherlock said:

I'm beginning to feel like this thread should be renamed to "General discussion between masters of the art". And by all means, please continue. I really learn a lot by just reading and following up through secondary literature...

All this drivel that happens every time when David and Rudy collide is rather annoying to me and totally went off topic long ago. But that's what you can ignore content for.

I would appreciate if you as a mod would cut that out and move it to it's own thread.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Stefan Glienke said:

All this drivel that happens every time when David and Rudy collide

Whoa! I object to the word "drivel" (or "feuchte Aussprache"). I have a properly dry speech. But you can call it "nonsense", if you like.

And it is very simple: we both want to have the last word. :classic_wink:

And I doubt this can simply be cut apart into two threads. Both technically and discussionwise.

Edited by Rudy Velthuis

Ok ok ok...just try to get back to the topic at hand... which is...um... "Rapid generics"

• Like 2

On 3/14/2019 at 2:59 PM, Sherlock said:

Ok ok ok...just try to get back to the topic at hand... which is...um... "Rapid generics"

Most of that discussion was about the topic at hand: rapid generics as compared to Delphi generics, and what I think about Delphi's generics: it can be made faster but not in a generic way.