Ian Branch

Any advantage to using FastMM5??

Hi Team,

In the 'Old' days I used FastMM4 in lieu of Delphi's MM because there was tangible performance, amongst other, benefit.

Since then, Emba has incorporated aspects of FastMM4 to improve their own Delphi MM.

Nevertheless I moved to FastMM5 when it was released and have incorporated it in every App since.

I know I don't use FastMM5 to its fullest.  FWIW I use EurekaLog for debugging/logging.

All my Apps are simple Win32 Apps with only the occasional foray into a single thread for a database or background process.

So, to my question, given the current state of play of Delphi's MM, I use D11.2 now, is using FastMM5 of any benefit to me/my Apps or am I simply including it because I always have, to no benefit??

As a side note:  EurekaLog actually accommodates FastMM5 so that may be an influencing factor, or it may be simply to ride on some aspect of FastMM5...

Regards & TIA,

Ian

Hi David,

You know, as I was writing the item I thought to myself..

The first thing someone is going to say is "it depends". 🙂

I don't believe timing it on my dev PC is not going to reveal anything useful one way or the other, compared to the real-world usage on a LAN with diverse workstation OSs, RDP & WEB access usage.

And, I don't feel it is good practice to use the Customers as test agents for something like this.

Ian

Then toss a coin. Expecting people to give you insights about your program's performance is a coin toss. May as weel save time and do it yourself. 

Hi David,

I wasn't expecting insights into my own programs performance.

Rather, I was seeking the experiences of others.

I have tossed the coin and removed FastMM5 att and loaded it to the Customer.  We shall see if they notice anything.

Ian

In a single-threaded application, FastMM5 will not give you any noticeable improvements. It was designed to overcome the issues of V4 under heavy multithreading.

On 9/30/2022 at 11:41 AM, Stefan Glienke said:

In a single-threaded application, FastMM5 will not give you any noticeable improvements. It was designed to overcome the issues of V4 under heavy multithreading.

Moreover, if an app does no heavy memory operations (simple DB client with no significant local data processing / loading f.i.), any MM will perform well.