Sign in to follow this  
Roger Cigol

Cpp2 - Herb Sutter

I am grateful to Glenn Dufke for pointing out the following video - long but worthwhile ! I add my youtube comment here as a way of starting a discussion:

A great presentation (especially liked a guru like you failing to get the gcc to run!). Very ambitious vision - but it's good to "aim high". Could a compromise be to have a Cpp release that prohibits (not just deprecates!) the "unsafe" historic features (eg union, pointer arrithmetic, new/delete etc etc), forces use of bounds checking and std::span but without introducing the new syntax? Might not be so elegant and would not reduce your "teaching load" so much but might get through the inevitably cumbersome standards committee? Or do you realistically see Cpp2 as a fork away from the standards committee (sorry to be so heretic!)?

2 hours ago, Roger Cigol said:

I don't see an Embarcadero Rust VCL/FMX appearing any time soon.....

Imagine a world where Embarcadero weren't the only supplier of dev tools

I live in that world ! But tell me what GUI you would use with Rust that comes close to VCL or FMX ?

Hope not to derail this thread, but there is a ton of UI libraries for Rust. However, I know of no IDE that offers some kind of a form designer like those from RAD Studio or Visual Studio. I have used a simple WebView for small hobbyist projects in Rust (using wry which is also used by Tauri [Tauri in 100 Seconds - YouTube]).

I'm not sure if I'd really miss creating VCL over HTML. I found it very enjoyable so far, however just on a very small scale. If you have heavily invested in custom VCL components over the years, then you're pretty much "locked in". From time to time, I am replacing some smaller parts of our Delphi applications with web interfaces. So far, I am very happy with the results, and I'd like to continue going down that route.

• Like 1