CyberPeter

Move project to pc with different scaling (100% -> 150%) - Impact on GUI ?

Hi,

I have a C++ Builder 11.2 project that is compiled on a machine with 100% scale setting. 

I put in considerable work to make sure that dynamically resized objects (based on content, text etc) all scale properly between different dpi monitors etc.

I'm now moving my project to a new main system with a bigger screen and I want to use the default 150% scale setting on this machine

I'm still not 100% on the whole scaling thing.  PixelsPerInch return confusing values sometimes and I'm also not fully sure what is stored during design etc.

My question, if/when I rebuild this project 'as is' on the new system, will it still look the same when deployed on a 100% scaled system etc ?
Do I need to make changes ?  Re-save all the forms ?

Any input before I start messing things up is greatly appreciated.

Peter

Rebuilding the source without oppening it should be fine. The IDE should save correctly after you edit the files, didn't tried I stay on 100% (bought a 2k monitor in order not to have to change scalling.). 

If you're the only developer you can test on a single form, if after saving it running the application shows correctly you should be fine. 

1 hour ago, Lajos Juhász said:

If you're the only developer you can test ...

Or simply revert those changes in the SCM?

2 hours ago, Lajos Juhász said:

bought a 2k monitor in order not to have to change scaling

Me too but it turns out I'm more comfortable with 150%.

Not the youngest anymore, reading glasses and all that ..

58 minutes ago, dummzeuch said:

Or simply revert those changes in the SCM?

Sure, but what about the main form in an opened project ?  Perhaps no changes were saved to file, but already changed in memory.

Also, what if a form needs to be edited, yet all the other forms are still OK and should remain unchanged.

I have some code that relies on the design dpi, currently hard coded, because I found no way to check the design time dpi per form.

Not sure what version control system you're using, but you should be able to commit just parts of your changes / revert parts of the changes.

I do that all the time, because it happens all the time. You just add a button and the IDE decides it's now time to change a dozen other things within your .dfm file as well...

6 minutes ago, Der schöne Günther said:

you should be able to commit just parts of your changes / revert parts of the changes.

Of course, and indeed I do that all the time as well.

What I meant was I may want to edit a form and leave the rest unchanged.

Then I have one form saved with dpi 150% and the other ones still with 100% .. I think

Then I'd need to query the form to know with what dpi setting it was saved during design