Al T

Do you think Embarcadero would let me switch my license from Delphi to C++ builder?

Time and time again, I'm finding libraries in c++ language I want to use and nothing in Delphi.  I have to be a Delphi expert to translate c++ libraries for Delphi and the time it takes to convert.  Time is money.

Any thoughts?

Not sure C++ builder would save you any time, most c++ libraries do not compile with c++ builder, and c++ builder doesn't support all the platforms that delphi does (missing android).  

8 minutes ago, Vincent Parrett said:

Not sure C++ builder would save you any time, most c++ libraries do not compile with c++ builder, and c++ builder doesn't support all the platforms that delphi does (missing android).  

Makes me think c++ Builder should be included with Delphi, instead of selling it separately.

You can purchase RAD Studio - which gives you both Delphi and C++ Builder.

Be careful with the statement " most c++ libraries do not compile with c++ builder" - Some do, some don't - "most" is an unhelpful adjective here. If the ones you want to use compile that's what you want.....

C++ multi-platform is weaker than Delphi - not having Android is a real shame.

Going back to your original question "Do you think Embarcadero would let me switch my license from Delphi to C++ builder?" - This is probably a very unusual request (and I am sure they would try to sell

you an "upgrade to RAD Studio (ie add C++ builder)" rather than a straight switch. What would happen to all your current delphi projects? 

1 hour ago, Al T said:

I have to be a Delphi expert to translate c++ libraries for Delphi and the time it takes to convert.

Why do you need to convert them to another language? Can't you build the C++ stuff as a separate library or process and then use that from your Delphi application?

1 hour ago, Der schöne Günther said:

Why do you need to convert them to another language? Can't you build the C++ stuff as a separate library or process and then use that from your Delphi application?

You can only do this if you have RAD studio - ie the version with both Delphi and C++.

It may be possible to build a separate library with a separate build system (eg GCC or MSC++) and then call this from Delphi - but I would expect lots of effort required to get the naming and parameter passing all working ok. I would be wary about going down this route......

1 hour ago, Roger Cigol said:

You can only do this if you have RAD studio - ie the version with both Delphi and C++.

It may be possible to build a separate library with a separate build system (eg GCC or MSC++) and then call this from Delphi - but I would expect lots of effort required to get the naming and parameter passing all working ok. I would be wary about going down this route......

Thus is exactly what I do and it's really not difficult. The only challenge is header file translation. 

Having said that, this is true for libraries with a C style interface. If it's C++ classes then you need to wrap them which is more laborious. 

Let me clarify what I'm trying to do...

VST 3 SDK. The plugins created are all in one file, so building a c++ library, how is Delphi suppose to make calls as a dll to a dll inside itself?

https://github.com/steinbergmedia/vst3sdk

I will not install and use Microsoft Visual anything.  I hated Visual Basic and I'm sure I'll hate Visual C++... Reason I want Builder c++, as I do love the Delphi IDE.

I have a copy of Delphi Enterprise 11, but that was a fluke.  I happened to win allot of money in Las Vegas, NV and wanted to see Delphi with Linux, so I bought the Enterprise Edition.  Everyone says I can't just download the community edition of Builder C++ to run along side Delphi.

I'm a open source developer.  I can't afford any more licenses and stuck at Delphi 11 Enterprise.  I got a email from a Embarcadero employee saying no matter how long I go without upgrades, that they will demand back pay if I ever request a renewal subscription. 😥 I'm currently at 2 subscriptions on back pay?? 😢 Must be a Enterprise agreement that I didn't read? 😥 I'm forever stuck at Delphi 11 Enterprise. 😭 So, my recommendation is to never buy anything higher than developer edition!  With this knowledge, how do I get started with Builder C++ while being unemployed?  I want to make money, but I've never made any money with Delphi.  I'm thinking, Builder C++... I'm have a chance to make money with that!  VST3 plugins is the way I can make money.  No VST3 plug-in SDK kits for Delphi. 😭

7 hours ago, Der schöne Günther said:

If you can think how to make it a all in one library, then maybe?

It's a plug-in for DAWs.  VST3 plug-in.

Edited by Al T

34 minutes ago, Al T said:

If you can think how to make it a all in one library, then maybe?

It's a plug-in for DAWs.  VST3 plug-in.

Why would you need a single library?

6 hours ago, David Heffernan said:

Why would you need a single library?

I'm not sure on all the technicalities, but all the plug-ins I own (over 200) are just 1 DLL file.  The VST3 files are DLL file renamed to *.VST3. Do you think a DLL can call another DLL?  So, I assume you need to keep them in just one file.

8 hours ago, Al T said:

I will not install and use Microsoft Visual anything.  I hated Visual Basic and I'm sure I'll hate Visual C++

This is pretty odd. Times have changed. Visual Studio is a great IDE. 

8 hours ago, Al T said:

I'm a open source developer.  I can't afford any more licenses and stuck at Delphi 11 Enterprise.

There are lots of tools and IDEs that are good and won't cost. Why are you so set on Embarcadero tools? It seems like the wrong approach for VST3. 

8 hours ago, Al T said:

I got a email from a Embarcadero employee saying no matter how long I go without upgrades, that they will demand back pay if I ever request a renewal subscription. 😥 I'm currently at 2 subscriptions on back pay?? 😢 Must be a Enterprise agreement that I didn't read? 😥 I'm forever stuck at Delphi 11 Enterprise. 😭 So, my recommendation is to never buy anything higher than developer edition!

If your subscription lapses then it's over. You can't upgrade. You need to buy a new license if you want to get a new version. Very bad model in my view.