JohnLM

Saving ProjectGroups to a new folder

Windows 7 Home 64bit

Delphi XE7 Professional update 1 with FireDAC and Mobile add-on

Indy version 10.6.1.518

Android devices: (smartphone v10, and tables v4.4.4, and  v4.4.2)

I am having trouble trying to get these projects copied via Save-as and Save-project-as from the IDE, to another version'ized folder. 

When I start a project, I normally create a folder that describes the application name. Then, I create a version folder (i.e., v01, v02, ... v10, and so on) so that I can see the version of that project.  This helps me to keep project apps organized, debugging, etc..

** My steps are as follows for working with and saving a project into a new version folder: **

(this is just before I close down Delphi for the project) 

1. open or create a project, E:\XE7\VCL\JasonParser\v01\JasonParser_v01.dproj

2. do work on that project. If the project is working well, I will quickly determine if that will be the final working version. If I decide, yes, then I will create a new version folder.

** Create new version folder: ** 

3. Save-as (this saves the unit) thus, save into E:\XE7\VCL\JasonParser\v02\unit1.pas

4. Save-project-as, thus, save into E:\XE7\VCL\JasonParser\v02\JasonParser_v02.dproj

5. then, either I shut down Delphi or start a new project via steps 1 through 5.

However, being my first time creating a project-group, I am lost as to how to copy over the whole project to a new version folder so that I can work on the project. 

The issue I am having is that the second project group is not carrying over.  How do I fix this?

Edited by JohnLM

Why not create folder junction \project\current to point to whatever version you need. Also with simple batch file you can remap it to any previous one.

But in general I'd suggest you not doing such kind of mess and use VCS

• Like 2

6 hours ago, JohnLM said:

Windows 7 Home 64bit

Delphi XE7 Professional update 1 with FireDAC and Mobile add-on

Indy version 10.6.1.518

Android devices: (smartphone v10, and tables v4.4.4, and  v4.4.2)

I am having trouble trying to get these projects copied via Save-as and Save-project-as from the IDE, to another version'ized folder. 

When I start a project, I normally create a folder that describes the application name. Then, I create a version folder (i.e., v01, v02, ... v10, and so on) so that I can see the version of that project.  This helps me to keep project apps organized, debugging, etc..

** My steps are as follows for working with and saving a project into a new version folder: **

(this is just before I close down Delphi for the project) 

1. open or create a project, E:\XE7\VCL\JasonParser\v01\JasonParser_v01.dproj

2. do work on that project. If the project is working well, I will quickly determine if that will be the final working version. If I decide, yes, then I will create a new version folder.

** Create new version folder: ** 

3. Save-as (this saves the unit) thus, save into E:\XE7\VCL\JasonParser\v02\unit1.pas

4. Save-project-as, thus, save into E:\XE7\VCL\JasonParser\v02\JasonParser_v02.dproj

5. then, either I shut down Delphi or start a new project via steps 1 through 5.

However, being my first time creating a project-group, I am lost as to how to copy over the whole project to a new version folder so that I can work on the project. 

The issue I am having is that the second project group is not carrying over.  How do I fix this?

With your steps you are not creating a new project group, you just rename the project. If you saved the project group before closing the IDE (the IDE should prompt you to do this) the group should contain the renamed project the next time you open it. To have more than one version in the same project group you have to explicitely add the old version to the group.

• Like 1

Solving all this versioning issues is exactly what git was invented for and exactly what it does so well and so easily (espeically if you install tortoise git into windows). It's all out there for free and takes a day or two (max) to get the hang of.

1 hour ago, Roger Cigol said:

Solving all this versioning issues is exactly what git was invented for and exactly what it does so well and so easily (espeically if you install tortoise git into windows). It's all out there for free and takes a day or two (max) to get the hang of.

You make it sound like git was the first Source Code Management tool ever invented, but in fact git is only the one of latest additions to that class of tools. As for "easily": There are SCMs that are easier to use in particular for a single programmer.

• Thanks 1

Certainly not my intention to do that. Of course there are other source control solutions too. My intention was to point out that trying to do version control / source control manually is rarely (if ever) a sensible use of someone's time these days. Sorry if I sent out wrong "messages" here....

• Like 1