XylemFlow

Delphi 11.0 FMX Windows app gives error during startup for some users

A small proportion of users are reporting an Access Violation error during startup of my FMX Windows application. I've not been able to replicate it myself, but I have determined a number of things by sending variations to the users. Here are the facts.

• The vast majority of users do not have the issue
  • All users with the issue have what looks like a normal Windows 10 setup
  • The error occurs after the forms have been created but before the OnCreate events for each form start to get called. Perhaps somewhere early in Application.Run.
  • The error does not occur with earlier version of my app built in Delphi 10.4.
  • The error does not occur when I build the latest version of my app in Delphi 10.4.
  • The error does not occur when run using Windows XP compatibility mode. This is strange since I didn't think FMX apps could run at all in Windows XP.
  • I'm using one 3rd party component (FFVCL) but another app using that component and built in Delphi 11 does not cause the error.

Does anyone know of a Delphi 11.0 issue that could be causing this? Would it help for me to upgrade to 11.2? If not, can anyone suggest ideas for further investigation? Why would some apps work when built in the same version and this one doesn't? Why would it work in Windows XP compatibility mode?

Edited by XylemFlow

The first step would be to get more detailed 'crash' information. We use madExcept in all our software to do this (there are others too) which provides a solid stack trace when an exception occurs. Without such info you don't know what to look for....

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Keesver said:

The first step would be to get more detailed 'crash' information. We use madExcept in all our software to do this (there are others too) which provides a solid stack trace when an exception occurs. Without such info you don't know what to look for....

Thanks. I was hoping there was a chance that someone else had a similar issue based on the info I gave. It seems to me that this is a Delphi 11 issue rather than anything in my code, but I don't know for sure. MadExcept looks great, but it's a VCL component. Can I use it in FMX applications as long as I'm building for Windows?

Edited by XylemFlow

2 hours ago, Lajos Juhász said:

I don't use fmx but https://github.com/project-jedi/jcl should work.

Thanks. There's not much information there about how to do that, or on the JEDI wiki site. I did find the following blog post though. Can I assume that this is still relevant, or is it out of date?

https://blog.dummzeuch.de/2014/03/08/using-jcldebug/

@dummzeuch

Edited by XylemFlow

3 hours ago, XylemFlow said:

Thanks. There's not much information there about how to do that, or on the JEDI wiki site. I did find the following blog post though. Can I assume that this is still relevant, or is it out of date?

https://blog.dummzeuch.de/2014/03/08/using-jcldebug/

As far as I know everything in that blog post still applies.

But beware: This is for Win32 programs. I have no idea whether Win64 or other platforms are supported and whether any changes are necessary there.

• Like 1

Only thing I can think of is in regards to 64bit applications: Delphi 11.2 64 bit apps make more use of ASLR. Pointers are now less likely to have the top 32bits all zero so any use of an integer to hold them will now cause problems. Loading a 32bit value into a 64bit register on x64 clears the top bits so bad code could squeak by before if the top 32 bits of the real address were all zero. 

Delphi Compiler Enhancements
As part of the RAD Studio 11.2 Delphi compiler improvements, Delphi further expands Address Space Layout Randomization (ASLR) support for the Win64 platform by supporting High Entropy ASLR (HE ASLR) by adding the ability to randomize memory addresses at high locations.

14 hours ago, Brian Evans said:

Only thing I can think of is in regards to 64bit applications: Delphi 11.2 64 bit apps make more use of ASLR. Pointers are now less likely to have the top 32bits all zero so any use of an integer to hold them will now cause problems. Loading a 32bit value into a 64bit register on x64 clears the top bits so bad code could squeak by before if the top 32 bits of the real address were all zero. 

Delphi Compiler Enhancements
As part of the RAD Studio 11.2 Delphi compiler improvements, Delphi further expands Address Space Layout Randomization (ASLR) support for the Win64 platform by supporting High Entropy ASLR (HE ASLR) by adding the ability to randomize memory addresses at high locations.

Thanks. However, I was using 11.0 when the problem first appeared and that doesn't have the ASLR updates. I've now updated to 11.2 and the issue is still there. My application is 32 bit.

What are the chances that the issue is display related? I know that there were some changes to support high DPI scaling in D11. Maybe I should ask the users about their display settings?

Edited by XylemFlow

That doesn't get me much closer to solving this though. Now all I know is that it's the fault of something in Delphi styles. I'm not even sure which form is causing the issue, although I could work that out by trial and error. I still don't understand what's different about the users' setup that causes the error with styles when most others do not? Also, what changed in Delphi 11 to cause this issue, which does not happen in Delphi 10?

I'm using custom styles to adjust the look of some of the controls. For example, the TSpinBox has big arrow buttons on each side. I used styles to make the buttons smaller so that the control takes up less space. Does anyone know how I can do that without using styles and without building my own TSpinBox component? Could I create a class deriving from TSpinBox and then override some of the functionality perhaps? The other annoying thing with styles is that I have to create the style for each platform, including each Windows version. I think that the reason the exception didn't happen in Windows XP compatibility mode is because there was no style for it.

Edited by XylemFlow

Hi,

22 hours ago, XylemFlow said:

Could I create a class deriving from TSpinBox and then override some of the functionality perhaps? 

No, this new TSpinBox should use the same style.

The other annoying thing with styles is that I have to create the style for each platform, including each Windows version.

Except if you put this style in the default collection. As I remember when style is to be applied, "delphi" look for  platform style and then default style if stylelookup is not found.

I think that the reason the exception didn't happen in Windows XP compatibility mode is because there was no style for it. 

Ah, this should be a possibility

Another solution is to change the style of the component during runtime (I found this trick some month ago, but :classic_blush: I don't remember where I save this one)

[EDIT]

Finally, found. If you read French it's in my blog I explain 2 methods, I think second one  "modify the style directly" could apply.
If you can screenshot what you expect I will take this like a challenge 😉

Edited by Serge_G
found it

Thanks for your suggestions @Serge_G . Here is a colour selector form that I designed for my app with the modified TSpinBoxes bottom right (the default style takes up far too much space).

image.thumb.png.5ae1469c57cdfaea8bc331521a83b4e1.png

A further update on my Access violation issue though, the styles may not be an issue as I previously thought. I'm now in communication with Embarcadero support and they pointed out that an error is shown earlier in the call stack. The issue may be related to the images in the main menu. I have confirmed that this is the issue by creating a version without the TImageList linked to the main menu. The user has said that the error is gone. Any idea why Delphi 11 would cause an access violation for a main menu linked to an image list on some computers? Here's the full stack trace.

main thread ($21b0):
0069e7e3 +003 myapp.exe      FMX.Forms                     TFormBorder.GetSupported
0069e8b5 +005 myapp.exe      FMX.Forms                     TFormBorder.StyleChanged
006aafb5 +00d myapp.exe      FMX.Forms                     TCommonCustomForm.UpdateStyleBook
006ac5e3 +05f myapp.exe      FMX.Forms                     TCustomForm.UpdateStyleBook
006ab222 +092 myapp.exe      FMX.Forms                     TCommonCustomForm.SetStyleBook
006a3946 +03e myapp.exe      FMX.Forms                     TCommonCustomForm.Notification
006ac47a +016 myapp.exe      FMX.Forms                     TCustomForm.Notification
002762b5 +035 myapp.exe      System.Classes                TComponent.RemoveFreeNotifications
002760dc +014 myapp.exe      System.Classes                TComponent.Destroy
00670e20 +098 myapp.exe      FMX.Types                     TFmxObject.Destroy
0046bb47 +077 myapp.exe      FMX.Controls                  TStyleBook.Destroy
00139030 +008 myapp.exe      System                 34  +0 TObject.Free
00671c6e +056 myapp.exe      FMX.Types                     TFmxObject.DoDeleteChildren
00139030 +008 myapp.exe      System                 34  +0 TObject.Free
002a4c99 +071 myapp.exe      System.Messaging              TFixedMessageManager.SendMessage
00671d0a +002 myapp.exe      FMX.Types                     TFmxObject.DeleteChildren
00670df2 +06a myapp.exe      FMX.Types                     TFmxObject.Destroy
006a020f +2eb myapp.exe      FMX.Forms                     TCommonCustomForm.Destroy
006ab31f +04b myapp.exe      FMX.Forms                     TCustomForm.Destroy
7725ad8a +00a ntdll.dll                                    KiUserExceptionDispatcher
746541ef +06f KERNELBASE.dll                               RaiseException
0013918a +032 myapp.exe      System                 34  +0 TObject.GetInterface
00277838 +018 myapp.exe      System.Classes                TComponent.QueryInterface
00633c47 +0df myapp.exe      FMX.Platform.Menu.Win         TWinMenuService.UpdateMenuItem
004164e1 +045 myapp.exe      FMX.Menus                     TMenuItem.DoBitmapChanged
00418641 +049 myapp.exe      FMX.Menus                     TMenuItem.ImagesChanged
0040361d +011 myapp.exe      FMX.ImgList                   TGlyphImageLink.Change
002c1d0b +02f myapp.exe      System.ImageList              TImageLink.SetImageList
00418682 +006 myapp.exe      FMX.Menus                     TMenuItem.SetImages
00418634 +03c myapp.exe      FMX.Menus                     TMenuItem.ImagesChanged
0040361d +011 myapp.exe      FMX.ImgList                   TGlyphImageLink.Change
002c1d0b +02f myapp.exe      System.ImageList              TImageLink.SetImageList
00418682 +006 myapp.exe      FMX.Menus                     TMenuItem.SetImages
0041c61f +06b myapp.exe      FMX.Menus                     TMainMenu.ImagesChanged
0041c5aa +00e myapp.exe      FMX.Menus                     TMainMenu.Loaded
0025c4b9 +02d myapp.exe      System.Classes                NotifyGlobalLoading
0025c654 +07c myapp.exe      System.Classes                InitInheritedComponent
0069eeac +1a8 myapp.exe      FMX.Forms                     TCommonCustomForm.Create
006ab34a +016 myapp.exe      FMX.Forms                     TCustomForm.Create
0069aeb6 +05a myapp.exe      FMX.Forms                     TApplication.CreateForm
0069b0a9 +075 myapp.exe      FMX.Forms                     TApplication.RealCreateForms
0064283c +018 myapp.exe      FMX.Platform.Win              TPlatformWin.Run
0069e35f +03f myapp.exe      FMX.Forms                     TApplication.Run
00a4aab3 +3c7 myapp.exe      myapp                 126 +64 initialization
766b3742 +022 KERNEL32.DLL                                 BaseThreadInitThunk

Edited by XylemFlow

Another update on this issue. I have created a minimal application in D11 with just a TMainMenu linked to a TImageList. The main menu has a single item with an image. This still causes the error for the user, which confirms that the issue is related to main menu linked to an image list. Still no progress on working out how the user's computer is different from mine and most other users.

Old/corrupt/problematic graphics drivers that have errors on some code paths might be something to look at. Some graphics drivers have a clean install option (clears out old drivers or parts of old drivers before installing the latest drivers) which might help. This is fairly rare these days however. 

This issue is now solved thanks to the support team at Embarcadero. The issue was happening for users who had an old version of Windows 10. The users who reported the error had not installed any Windows 10 updates in years! New DPI code added in Delphi 11 related to menu items was calling a Windows 10 function that did not exist in early versions of Windows 10 and so was causing the error. The fix was to modify line 297 of FMX.Helpers.Win.pas to the following.

if (TOSVersion.Major >= 10) and (TOSVersion.Build >= 14393) then

The issue has been reported so that it can be fixed permanently in future updates. Thanks for everyone's help. The extra debug info from the callstack made the difference.

• Like 1

Thanks for posting about the resolution to the problem.  

It is documented as the GetSystemMetricsForDpi does say:  Minimum supported client Windows 10, version 1607 [desktop apps only] and that is build 14393. It is a LTSC release supported until October 13, 2026 so can't really be ignored.