PeaShooter_OMO

Attach to Process along with Stepping through Code

How would I go about attaching to a process also with the ability to step through the code?

I did build the executable with "Debug Information", "Reference Info" and "Include remote debug symbols" but cannot step through the code while attached to it. Breakpoints are also not honoured.

Am I missing additional requirements?

(Delphi 11, Win32 executable)

Edited by PeaShooter_OMO

1 hour ago, PeaShooter_OMO said:

Yes, I did.

You should not. Manage to generate the executable where it must be or run it from the folder where you generate it.

Maybe you are using the remote debugger?

1 hour ago, FPiette said:

You should not. Manage to generate the executable where it must be or run it from the folder where you generate it.

Maybe you are using the remote debugger?

I will try to "Output" it directly to the intended final destination and see what it does.

Isn't the Remote Debugger only for when it is not local or are you referring to the functionality and not the utility?

I saw that the .rsm file is generated for remote symbol info. Are there other files also for that purpose?

6 hours ago, PeaShooter_OMO said:

Isn't the Remote Debugger only for when it is not local or are you referring to the functionality and not the utility?

I asked because you mentioned you generate remote debug symbols.

18 hours ago, PeaShooter_OMO said:

Am I missing additional requirements?

Make sure the .tds file and .rsm file are in the same folder as the .exe file.

14 hours ago, PeaShooter_OMO said:

The Remote Debugger is used when the .exe file is run on a different machine than the IDE is run on.  In which case, you need to run the Remote Debugger app on the same machine as the .exe file, and then connect the IDE to the Remote Debugger app over the network.

Edited by Remy Lebeau

On 11/23/2022 at 10:23 PM, PeaShooter_OMO said:

I should have mentioned that the executable is on the same PC. I apologize for that.

Then ignore the Remote Debugger and the .rsm file (turn off remote debug symbols).  All you need is the .tds file alongside the .exe file.

On 11/25/2022 at 11:17 PM, Remy Lebeau said:

Then ignore the Remote Debugger and the .rsm file (turn off remote debug symbols).  All you need is the .tds file alongside the .exe file.

I created a blank 1-form test application and it works fine with "stepping"/debug info and it seems the .tds file has no affect. The .rsm file does seem to be required though. It does not even need to be where the final destination executable is as long as it is where the project output is.

But our original project does not want to do stepping at all. I have deleted all non essential project files along with the .dproj file and re-built. Nothing I tried seems to work. I copied .rsm and .tds across to the final destination folder, went back and forth between Release and Debug builds, compared configs (Compiling and Linking) with the test app but still no luck. Very strange

Delphi 11 can be tough on debugging. I also have problem to debug a code in a package. Sometimes I can place a break point and works as expected sometimes I have to use ShowMessages to debug.

Build all can help (but not always).