timfrost

No GExperts formatter on Windows 11 with elevated IDE

While switching to a new machine I have identical installations of Delphi 10.4 and 11.2 on Windows 10 and Windows 11. Only on Windows 11, the GExperts Code Formatter ignores whatever key combination is assigned to it, when the IDE is run elevated. This is annoying, because I often have to work in an elevated IDE to debug an application that requires elevation. The GExperts folder and its contents are identical, as are the registry keys for GExperts and the configuration settings. Other keystroke combinations configured in GExperts are unaffected, as are operations when the IDE is not run elevated. What might cause this, and might there be a way to avoid the problem?

Does the code formatter work if invoked manually using the menu system?

If so, there is something in that environment capturing the keyboard shortcut before GExperts, it could even be something outside the IDE.

The code formatter was added latter in GExpert's life by integrating a separate project called DelForEx.  Might be something broken with this integration when the IDE is run elevated. It is under active development with a SVN repository available. Perhaps raise a ticket / take a loot at the source code etc.  

GExperts download | SourceForge.net

3 hours ago, David Hoyle said:

Does the code formatter work if invoked manually using the menu system?

Good question! In the many years that I have been using GExperts, I have never enabled Editor Experts on its main menu, so I had forgotten it was there. I had ruled out a problem with a stolen keyboard shortcut because I had tried so many different combinations. And my standard shortcut for the formatter (Alt + accentgrave) has never been stolen before.

Now, it works from the menu.  And, it also works from the keyboard.  So your excellent suggestion has not actually added to my knowledge of what the problem was, although I now have normal service resumed. I have a habit of writing new code without too much care for neatness, then pressing the 'format' key to tidy up and check that all the begins and ends line up.  I suppose I have done this since DelForEx was standalone.

If it happens again, I will have to go back to looking for something that might have stolen the elevated-only keystroke yesterday and today, that is not running now.  I have been round this circuit before.

Under some circumstances that I never could figure out, sometimes some keyboard shortcuts get lost. Usually opening the config dialog and exiting it with OK will fix that. But apparently you had already tried that. No idea what could cause this odd behaviour in elevated mode.

Did you try the same shortcut for a different expert? Did it work in that case?

Please file a bug report on SourceForge giving as much detail as possible, including how you start Delphi in elevated mode.

Edited by dummzeuch