David Schwartz

TDateTimeHelper from D11 that can be used in D10.4?

On 1/8/2023 at 2:37 AM, David Schwartz said:

(If they'd make it so class helpers can inherit previous helpers, then they could simply be published as separate units available to every Delphi user.)

They have, and they can:

TYPE
  TMyClassHelper = CLASS HELPER(TAncestorHelper) FOR TAncestor

However, RECORD HELPERS cannot be inherited...

On 1/8/2023 at 4:37 AM, David Schwartz said:

Maybe someone from Embt could get involved and see about making things like this more widely accessible to previous Delphi users?

They never care about older versions as soon as a new one is released. They don't even make bugfix patches, not talking about feature backports

Edited by Fr0sT.Brutal

11 hours ago, HeartWare said:

They have, and they can:

TYPE
  TMyClassHelper = CLASS HELPER(TAncestorHelper) FOR TAncestor

However, RECORD HELPERS cannot be inherited...

Hmmm ... I didn't know that class helpers are inheritable, but in this case it's a record helper AFAIK, so that's not helpful.

Still, it's of general interest and isn't the least bit proprietary, and could easily be made more widely available to all Delphi users rather than locking it into a single release. 

Yes, I know this is how they've always done things. That doesn't mean they can't change. They're trying to grow their market and user base, so being nicer to existing customers rather than pretending we don't exist would be a great start. (I'm as tired as everybody else of receiving emails inviting me to buy the product as a new customer.)

Pred 22 minútami David Schwartz povedal:

Snažia sa rozšíriť svoj trh a používateľskú základňu, takže byť milší k existujúcim zákazníkom, než predstierať, že neexistujeme, by bol skvelý začiatok.

It seems to me that they are doing everything to make it the opposite.

The cost of maintaining multiple versions is staggering.  With limited resources, it makes sense to focus on subscription users. 

I don't like it either, and I really don't like how they gimp the community version, but yeah - they are not MS with deep pockets filled from other products.

I support the current release of my software which is current for a year. When the new version comes out, we stop updating and supporting the previous version. I think that's pretty common.

It is frustrating if you are on an older version, but my clients don't mind because they are happy to upgrade. Delphi is somewhat bug riddled and updating can be fraught. 

The Embarcadero policy would be better if the software wasn't so buggy and new versions weren't so risky. 

• Like 3