PeterPanettone

GExperts module to make the Components structure view PERMANENT

I have posted this feature request ticket in the GExperts ticket list:

https://sourceforge.net/p/gexperts/feature-requests/56/

This is an idea for a new GExperts module:

In the Delphi IDE, the content of the Structure panel changes according to whether the code editor or the form design editor is active (which IMO is a legacy hangover from the Delphi stone age when computer monitors generally had the size of a postage stamp, hence the space-saving dual-use of the Structure panel). In my opinion and for me, the Code Explorer items which are visible when the IDE's code editor is active are COMPLETELY USELESS, as the FREE MMX CODE EXPLORER has much better functionality.

So this new GExperts module should optionally hide the Code Explorer items in the Structure panel when the IDE's code editor is active. Instead, the components of the form structure should be PERMANENTLY visible, even when the code editor is active! Having to hit the F12 key while coding in the code editor only for selecting a component in the Structure panel and then viewing/editing properties of this component in the Object Inspector is a useless waste of time!

While I agree with your comments about the structure pane's utility when in code, and agree as well that MMX is far better, I would think it much better to lodge a feature request with Embarcadero. This would be merely another checkbox in Tools, Options, and ought not to be terribly difficult for them to implement.

7 minutes ago, Bill Meyer said:

While I agree with your comments about the structure pane's utility when in code, and agree as well that MMX is far better, I would think it much better to lodge a feature request with Embarcadero. This would be merely another checkbox in Tools, Options, and ought not to be terribly difficult for them to implement.

I have found Embarcadero to be extraordinarily reluctant when it comes to cut or change old pigtails from the Delphi IDE.

I expect this may be rather difficult to be implemented in an expert without having it totally separate from the Structure View itself, because there is only one TVirtualStringTree which reloads, dependent on whether Code or Design is selected.

By Trial & Error, I have found this undocumented feature in the Delphi 10.3.1 IDE: When the form-design editor is detached from the IDE:

image.png.791502b640d8d7795b450c275b18cbdc.png

...then the Components Structure View is permanently visible, even when the code editor is active!:

image.png.16889baa6934bf90f0e9eff4687a3300.png

Can anyone confirm this?

So the above problem seems to be solved.

Edited by PeterPanettone