emileverh

Delphi 11.3 is available now!

5 minutes ago, David Heffernan said:

It's really frustrating that I cannot have 11.2 and 11.3 installed on the same machine. 

I agree.

I have the new version in a VM until I am satisfied that it won't cause me problems. Only then do I upgrade my "production enviroments".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Switching between VMs is not that arduous...

What gets to me right now is that my GetIt batch file wont work. I get either

Internal check error. Error Installing: Error when installing "CodeSite Express".

or

Update Subscription is required to install this item

What gives? Now I have to install everything by hand again, along with the really tedious IDE restarting....

I just noticed that my 11.3 in the VM compiled my 1.1MLOC project in 36 seconds, while 11.1 in the main OS used 1 min 5 seconds.

The main OS has a corporate straight jacket and a ton more processes, though.

3 hours ago, Lars Fosdal said:

I have the new version in a VM until I am satisfied that it won't cause me problems. Only then do I upgrade my "production enviroments".

The problem with this is imagine the following scenario:

1. You release version 1.0 of your software with Delphi 11.2.

2. You then make a fixes only branch for version 1.x that only gets quality / bug fixes pushed to it.

3. You continue main stream development for version 2.0 and decide to upgrade to Delphi 11.3.

4. You now want to build and release version 1.1 from your fixes only 1.x branch, but ideally you want to build with Delphi 11.2.

If Delphi 11.3 only contained bug fixes then you might be happy to build 1.1 with it, but 11.3 is a feature release.

So for a workflow like the above you actually need to keep build VMs around for all maintained fixes only branches.

No, no, @David Heffernan - What I mean is that I keep the new version away from my regular work cycle until the new unintended features have been discovered - and if those affect our apps, until the first service update arrives.

When I am happy that 11.3 is ready to use, having built our apps with it, and gone through the tests, we migrate everything.

All of the devs switch version, and the build environment is upgraded.

So far, that approach has worked well. 

As an example, we never upgraded to 11.2, f.x. as it didn't really fix the issues we had with 11.1, and offered little new of use to us.

We went from 10.4 to 11.1 as well.

We have the luxury of being able to do that, since our software is corporate and not shelf-ware.

2 hours ago, David Heffernan said:

If Delphi 11.3 only contained bug fixes then you might be happy to build 1.1 with it, but 11.3 is a feature release.

We have had problems with minor Delphi point releases changing things in rtl/vcl that introduced new bugs on minor updates we build off them. It would be very helpful if any version of Delphi could be installed in parallel with others without resorting to VMs (not all applications can be developed in a VM, ours cannot; too much stuff happens too close to the metal). They already support alternate registry locations for an instance of the IDE, they ought to be able to let us install 11.2 and 11.3 on the same file system.

3 hours ago, Lars Fosdal said:

No, no, @David Heffernan - What I mean is that I keep the new version away from my regular work cycle until the new unintended features have been discovered - and if those affect our apps, until the first service update arrives.

When I am happy that 11.3 is ready to use, having built our apps with it, and gone through the tests, we migrate everything.

All of the devs switch version, and the build environment is upgraded.

So far, that approach has worked well. 

As an example, we never upgraded to 11.2, f.x. as it didn't really fix the issues we had with 11.1, and offered little new of use to us.

We went from 10.4 to 11.1 as well.

We have the luxury of being able to do that, since our software is corporate and not shelf-ware.

The fact that you have a different workflow from me doesn't mean my workflow doesn't exist

• Haha 1

On 2/28/2023 at 8:36 PM, softtouch said:

Delphi 11.3 always rearrange its toolbars with every start.

The first attached image shows how it should look after I move them to their positions, the second image shows what Delphi 11.3 makes out of it. With every restart of the IDE, I have to rearrange the top toolbars 😞

I am using a 4K monitor with a scaling of 125%.

When I use Delphi DPI unaware, it stays always the same, when I use a monitor scaling of 100%, it always stays the same, but when I use a monitor scaling of 125% on my 4K display, it rearrange the toolbars.

That did not happen in any version below 11.3 (11.0, 11.1, 11.2).

Delphi_11_2023-02-28_08-33-04.png

Delphi_11_2023-02-28_08-33-36.png

This is a pre existing bug across many Delphi versions and I often end up getting a VERY tall toolbar zone mostly full of whitespace.  I can go for hours/days/weeks and occasionally months at a time before hitting it.  Think it's also an issues with RDP and different DPIs.  Work around that I uses when it gets to around 6 lines is to delete entries in Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Embarcadero\BDS\22.0\Toolbars

After a day of use I think 11.3 code insight is better than before.  Had to kill code insight after first startup it as pretty much wasn't working at all but since then most jumping and auto search/lookup has worked.  Find class still doesn't work (crashes).  Still get regular AV's when compiling but as per previous releases doing a build works.

When I installed 11.3 installation there were problems (AV or crash or similar) with Parnassus DLL's, I renamed folder with them in, installed Delphi and then uninstalled and reinstalled plugins.

Help insight seems to be working, occasionally slow (15seconds vs a second or two). Simple /// style help insight still not working (ie without <summary> tag), eg /// This method calculates XXX and returns YYY

Edited by Mark NZ
Clarification

22 minutes ago, Mark NZ said:

This is a pre existing bug across many Delphi versions and I often end up getting a VERY tall toolbar zone mostly full of whitespace.  I can go for hours/days/weeks and occasionally months at a time before hitting it.  Think it's also an issues with RDP and different DPIs.  Work around that I uses when it gets to around 6 lines is to delete entries in Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Embarcadero\BDS\22.0\Toolbars

I agree - tollbars never worked for me as expected. Finally, I have disabled all of them, keeping only "Component" enabled, and problem is solved 🙂

I've also had Delphi 11.3 lock up several times (requiring kill from task manager) and debug sessions fail.  Don't know if it's any worse yet for that than Delphi 11.1/11.2 or if I've just had bad run this morning and yesterday

Edited by Mark NZ
Notes were blank

1 hour ago, Mark NZ said:

Simple /// style help insight still not working (ie without <summary> tag), eg /// This method calculates XXX and returns YYY

Given that it is even not intended to work I count that as a pro :classic_smile:

2 hours ago, Uwe Raabe said:

Given that it is even not intended to work I count that as a pro :classic_smile:

Marco Cantu's book says it should, page 26 of the 10.4 version

It would be very nice if it did work as one of our senior developers who's in charge of a couple of projects is very anti the verbose XMLDoc and is also a proponent of 'well written code self documents' which unfortunately isn't helpful if the code has a mistake and you're trying to work out intricacies of what it is supposed to do or your trying to find the correct method etc out of a range of them.
If /// worked he would grudgingly use it.  For the rest of our projects we do use the full notation but we have a huge lot of legacy code where it would be nice to replace existing method header comments using braces to just use /// and very quickly have xmldoc working

Edited by Mark NZ
Clarification

On 2/28/2023 at 11:22 AM, Sherlock said:

It is sad to see, that PAServer on macOS still requires Python 2.7. Firstly because the guys over on the Python side always claimed breaking changes between the 2 and 3 branches where no biggie and secondly because even though they are they are fixable...

It's not the case since 11.2 Alexandria : Embarcadero updated Python dependency to 3.x branch and PAServer needs it only for debugging.

Where did you see it's on 2.7 ?

Good news indeed. Goes to show that one should not copy&paste release notes 😉

7 minutes ago, Sherlock said:

Goes to show that one should not copy&paste release notes

There is no copy&paste here. That are just the release notes for Delphi 11 Alexandria when it came out. The relevant info for the update releases are linked in the Notes at the top:

image.thumb.png.103e633e0d96b82f66a0e4640eb29382.png

1 hour ago, David Heffernan said:

If only other editors had this feature

Of course, other editors such as UltraEdit, Notepad++, Atom, VSCode, SublimeText have long had that functionality, and even delphi itself when installing CnPack. The new thing is that it will come as an integral part of the IDE.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JMORLAN said:

Of course, other editors such as UltraEdit, Notepad++, Atom, VSCode, SublimeText have long had that functionality, and even delphi itself when installing CnPack. The new thing is that it will come as an integral part of the IDE.

I guess my sarcasm didn't shine through

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, David Heffernan said:

If only other editors had this feature

What's your point? There are lots of features in e.g. Notepad++, which aren't available in the Delphi IDE, so what? They added this one and I really like it.