bzwirs

Stack Overflow error

Just updated to 11.3 (from 11.2) and now get an error when I launch one of my FMX apps in the IDE.  The error is:

Danger

Stack overflow - save your work and restart Delphi 11.

and the .dpr file is displayed on screen.   I have other FMX apps that I can successfully rebuild in 11.3 without any problems.

Any suggestions as to where I should look to resolve this issue.

Thanks in advance.

Bill

did you try delete .Dpr and recreate for 11.3? or any setup file created by old IDE?

EDIT: FIX: sorry TYPO... I say .DROJ

Edited by programmerdelphi2k

4 hours ago, programmerdelphi2k said:

did you try delete .Dpr and recreate for 11.3?

Big mistake.  It is the .dproj file that can be recreated.

• Like 1

If I remove the .dproj file then I get the following error:

image.thumb.png.c10a74e58c17af10e6d60dc080a16964.png

No I didn't get a callstack from the IDE, just the stack overflow message.

image.png

image.png

3 minutes ago, bzwirs said:

If I remove the .dproj file then I get the following error:

image.thumb.png.c10a74e58c17af10e6d60dc080a16964.png

You get this error because you are trying to open project from recent files which links directly to .dproj file. If you open it through File -> Open and open .dpr then dproj will be recreated.

Anyway, deleting dproj file, while it can help in certain scenarios is not the best course of action, especially for cross-platform FMX projects as you will lose all custom setup required for those projects, but that depends on how complicated your setup is.

If your dproj file is corrupted in some way and it cannot be loaded, then creating brand new project with same name and configuring it from scratch, is better option as autogenerating can cause you other troubles down the road because auto-generation does not properly configure and add all platforms.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for your advice Dalija.

I have tried to open it through File/Open as you suggested but that didn't work for me.  Over the next few days (when I get some time) I will try your other option in trying to re-create from scratch.  I'll let you know how it went.

Thanks again.

Bill

13 minutes ago, bzwirs said:

Thanks for your advice Dalija.

I have tried to open it through File/Open as you suggested but that didn't work for me.  Over the next few days (when I get some time) I will try your other option in trying to re-create from scratch.  I'll let you know how it went.

Opening dpr file works only if you have deleted dproj file. 

Another thig just occurred to me. Have you tried deleting project dsk file, which holds opened IDE files, IDE layout, breakpoints and watches. Maybe something is wrong there and not in your dproj file. 

What is exact error you get?

In the past I have fixed problems like this by deleting all of the .dsk files after updating Delphi. Worth a try, and a very low-impact thing to do even if it doesn't work.

I guess that only thing left for you is to report a bug to Embarcadero, if you can create small test case from your project that will show same behavior. 

One way to create a test case would be by copying your dpr and dproj files in another folder and opening that. If that crashes you can add that to the report. If it does not crash, then the problem you are having is in some other file. You can try locating it by copying other files from the project in small groups. Besides that the only other option would be to create new FMX application and add your files to it. I don't have other ideas.

I tried your suggestion re copying the dpr and dproj files to another directory.  Opened Ok, just complained about other units not being there which would be expected.  There are only 3 pas files to this project - Main, Datamodule and proxy file.  I first introduced the proxy and datamodule files and in both cases opened Ok except for complaining about the file not there.  So finally got the error when I introduced the main file.  The main file code shows in the IDE but when I select the Design tab then Delphi closes down completely.  So I figure the problem is in the .fmx file.  Is there anything in particular that I can look for in that file?  

At this stage I am thinking about a complete reinstall of Delphi (third party components and all) to see if that helps before I try anything else.

7 hours ago, bzwirs said:

At this stage I am thinking about a complete reinstall of Delphi (third party components and all) to see if that helps before I try anything else.

Do you use any 3rd party controls on that form? Maybe something changed that causes issue in particular component. You can try adding those to your blank project one by one, or try removing them from that unit and fmx file with some other editor. Or maybe even some IDE plugin that is additionally installed could cause the problems.

It is very unlikely that something is wrong with your installation. It is not completely impossible scenario, but I don't think it will help.

Have reinstalled Delphi with delete registry entries option this time and reinstalled all 3rd party components.....project now opens without error and compiles for Win32.  Unable to compile for Android yet but have found that SDK paths are not there so probably need to reinstall Android SDK.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bzwirs said:

Have reinstalled Delphi with delete registry entries option this time and reinstalled all 3rd party components.....project now opens without error and compiles for Win32.  Unable to compile for Android yet but have found that SDK paths are not there so probably need to reinstall Android SDK.

Interesting. That would be my last option. I wonder what caused it. When you installed the update, did you reinstall your 3rd party components, too? 

The first install I opted to save registry entries which normally means I don't have to reinstall the 3rd party components that I use and then I was getting that error.  This time I did the opposite and reinstalled the 3rd party components I use and get no error when opening that project.  So assume that it must have something to do with a corrupted 3rd party setting in registry from first install.  In hindsight, I may have achieved the same result by simply just reinstalling the 3rd party components.  Just for your interest, the 3rd party components I use in that particular project are TMS, Woll2Woll, HTML Editor and PDFium (WinSoft).

• Like 1

I have the same problem with a FMX-file in my project after migration to Delphi 11.3 and in my case also TMS is involved. Currently I don't know what to do. And I have installed with cleaned regristry.

Every help is appreaciated.

Edited by philipp.hofmann

It seems to be a problem with TTMSFMXCalendarPicker but there is a fix for this yet on TMS-Software-Homepage (3.7.8.6).

Edited by philipp.hofmann