Sign in to follow this  
Rick_Delphi

Delphi job

NCR is still running ads for a "Senior Delphi Software Engineer." I interviewed with them and they are pretty good people. But, they talked mostly about coding and wanted me to take a coding test (a timed coding test, lol). So, it didn't sound "senior", more like "staff coder." If anyone here considers themselves a programmer, they might find some good Delphi work there. A quick web search will bring up their job ad.

NCR used to stand for National Cash Register and I remember doing things with their hardware, way back when I first started in the computer industry. Probably a great company to work for. Again if you view yourself as a coder or programmer, it's probably a good opportunity.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Lars Fosdal said:

Quick, Good, Cheap - you can only pick two.

That's true. My head is still spinning from my Delphi job search. It was the strangest thing I've ever encountered. The companies I found that were small and nimble, couldn't pay. The world of software development has, apparently, matured to the point where it has gone to hell and isn't coming back. All someone had to say to me is - When can you start? and Where do we send the sign-in bonus? I would, by now, already know their code and be contributing to the company. But, no. There was all kinds of crazy behavior happening. Don't company leaders pay attention to what goes on inside the company?

Edited by Rick_Delphi

On 4/10/2023 at 8:28 AM, CoeurdeLeon said:

Where have all the Delphi jobs gone?

It was really weird when I was looking. One company wanted me to drive three hours to meet them, but they would not tell me what the offer would be before I made the trip.

On 4/10/2023 at 7:28 AM, CoeurdeLeon said:

Where have all the Delphi jobs gone?

At least in the U.S., the market has been drying up for many years.  In some companies, they take forever to hire replacement Delphi developers because they get no responses to their ad, or they are overwhelmed by inexperienced foreign developers.  Many experienced Delphi developers have been in the same job for years and it takes a lot of effort to get one to leave the safety of their current position.  Eventually they leave when the project is rewritten, or they participate in the rewrite and migrate to the new team and the Delphi team is dissolved.

I usually re-post open Delphi positions when I stumbled across them but I only see a few new Delphi job ads a month.

I keep waiting for the next revival of Delphi as it's still a powerful tool, but Embarcadero seems happy with its current growth in Brazil and doesn't seem too focused on U.S. other than keeping the renewals flowing.

On 4/14/2023 at 4:27 PM, Darian Miller said:

they take forever to hire replacement Delphi developers because they get no responses to their ad

Nah!, I have left many voice messages and emails about Delphi work (at various companies), but didn't get a response.

Edited by Rick_Delphi