jeanmilost

SVG Magic released

Hi developers,

Have you ever encountered problems because your interface changes with high DPI but your images remains on the same size? Have you ever wanted to add incredible animations to your interface, but have been frustrated by the limited possibilities of the proposed image formats? So there is a library for you.

SVG Magic brings the support of the Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) image format to the C++ and Delphi VCL.

Please visit: https://svgmagic.io/
Edited by jeanmilost
  • Like 6

Otherwise, really impressive.

I like how the Imagelist captures the DPI change, the compressed storage, preview in imagelist-editor, plus the save button.

The zooming tiger is so fast that I can't even believe that it's being rendered for every frame, is it some bitmap transformation?

One thing I'm missing, linking the imagelists into a chain. Ergo, defining the svg's once, in a "main" imagelist and having multiple imagelists pointing to the "main" with different sizes.

Great work

Perhaps I overlooked something, but does the library come with full source code?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Uwe Raabe said:

Perhaps I overlooked something, but does the library come with full source code?

It's also the same question that occurred to my me after skimming through the webpage and running the precompiled demo.

If it's not available with full source code, I'm not going to buy it. I have been burned twice with buying components / libraries in binary form only where the company went bust a few years later.

Apart from that I like the idea of using SVG for graphics a lot. It would solve several problems I am currently facing.

• Like 2

The Torry listing for this says 'source on request'; and I agree with you about source code.  And not seeing a published source price is never a good sign.

2 hours ago, dummzeuch said:

If it's not available with full source code, I'm not going to buy it.

Me too!

And full source includes not only the library itself, but also things like the design time editors.

30 minutes ago, Uwe Raabe said:

Me too!

And full source includes not only the library itself, but also things like the design time editors.

Me too!

4 hours ago, dummzeuch said:

Apart from that I like the idea of using SVG for graphics a lot. It would solve several problems I am currently facing.

Thomas, I do it already, there are at least 2 components which does about the same, except the auto DPI resizing, I have to do it manually and animation which I don't really care. But I'm always open for new things, I'm waiting for the answers.

Edited by Attila Kovacs

Hello all,

On 3/16/2019 at 8:06 PM, Attila Kovacs said:

Lib does not work on a system with decimal separator different than point  "." 

Thank you very much for the bug report, and I apologize for the issue. I reproduced the bug, it will be fixed in the next release.

On 3/17/2019 at 6:02 AM, Uwe Raabe said:

We are still considering the release of the source code. For now the status is "on demand". You as users, what is a fair premium price you are ready to pay to have also the source code?

46 minutes ago, jeanmilost said:

We are still considering the release of the source code. For now the status is "on demand". You as users, what is a fair premium price you are ready to pay to have also the source code?

Having worked in Delphi since D1, and twice having had to deal with the issue of components without source, I would say that the value without source is essentially zero, as the risk factor is not worth any benefits in the short term. So I would suggest that the question as you ask it is simply wrong. 

Edited by Bill Meyer
  • Like 7

15 minutes ago, Bill Meyer said:

I would say that the value without source is essentially zero

Exactly!

But as you asked for it: The RiverSoftAVG SVG Component Library, which also includes some SVG image list, comes with source for a price of $66. I didn't compare the feature list, though.

1 hour ago, Uwe Raabe said:

But as you asked for it: The RiverSoftAVG SVG Component Library, which also includes some SVG image list, comes with source for a price of $66. I didn't compare the feature list, though.

I note one big difference: RiverSoftAVG clearly states their engine is static, while SVG Magic claims dynamic (animation) support.

13 hours ago, Bill Meyer said:

I note one big difference: RiverSoftAVG clearly states their engine is static, while SVG Magic claims dynamic (animation) support.

I don't know much about the SVG format - do you happen to know is animations a part of the SVG standard spec?

On 3/16/2019 at 8:06 PM, Attila Kovacs said:

Lib does not work on a system with decimal separator different than point  "."

This issue was fixed now, and a new version was released today. Once again, thank you for showing me this error.

• Like 3

Hi developers,

I just released a new SVG Magic version (1.004). It improves the high DPI support and fixes several minor bugs.

About the distribution of the code source, the point is still under discussion, but the balance leans in favor of opening the source code for those who will buy the license. I will post the final answer here as soon as it is known.

SVG Magic brings the support of the Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) image format to the C++ and Delphi VCL.

Please visit: https://svgmagic.io/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

IMO, SVG Magic is a fantastic component which potentially creates a new paradigm for user interfaces.

Look at this COMPILED demo where I show some of its capabilities which can be used in a toolbar UI (try the trackbar, for example):

Freely_Scale_Toolbar_Controls_With_SVG_v2.zip

Here you can check the exe:

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/553141624ae35f3d6215730bb6e16301301903b91609ee0d90cfbc69148ecb37

Edited by PeterPanettone

6 hours ago, PeterPanettone said:

creates a new paradigm for user interfaces.

nothing new here.

There are other SVG Libs since ages.

3 minutes ago, Attila Kovacs said:

nothing new here.

There are other SVG Libs since ages.

Have you at least downloaded and looked at my demo? NO? Then what are you writing about? Just spreading bad emotions?

Edited by PeterPanettone

31 minutes ago, Attila Kovacs said:

Yes I did. That's why i said what I said. Problem?

Then I am sure you can indicate me a demo where button icon sizes can be freely changed without scaling like in my demo.

If you cannot then it is proof that you are here to slander the products of other people.

@PeterPanettone No, I'm not slandering anything. I'm trying to stay objective and I welcome any new components, I'm sure you did not read my previous posts in this thread. Also, I'm using only svg's in my apps since years. Here is a little demo with http://www.riversoftavg.com/svg.htm and there is at least one more SVG lib which is suitable for this not including svg magic.

I can see pros and cons in both libs but I won't go into the details.

here.zip