Rollo62

Rx11.3: IDE project tree disappears suddenly ( empty window )

Hi there,

I use the current RadStudio 11.3 Alexandria and have such issue that the project tree disappears suddenly, not sure how to reproduce that at the moment.

It looks like this,                and seems to be re-generated only when project close/open

image.png.05cb7e92b3089f0fccfafe5068d33f8c.png                                image.png.9334954d4a3475f2265b6f7efde7f6c7.png

Currently I'm working under Macos platform, but I don't assume that this is the root cause.

By the way, also all other tabs under this panel appears completely empty.

Is this a known issue or did somebody has any idea how to fix that ?

Edited by Rollo62

I have also observed the behavior with me.

Just choose your layout again

image.thumb.png.a26b78eda9b274d82f8e2c7dddf6a98d.png

• Like 1

@Rollo62 

if the project is from old-IDE, did you try delete all files created by IDE, like *.dproj, and *.res etc... and building under RAD11.3?

sometimes I do the (crazy) tests, like: backup a folder or files,  when all is out-control, you see, and....

• delete all files (in project) created by IDE
  • c:\users\...\"Embarcadero" <-- and delete all, and run my IDE again
  • etc... new fresh files!!!
  • sometimes works, sometimes not! but dont worry, I has my "restore-files"
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, gkobler said:

Just choose your layout again

Great, that seems to be a good workaround.

17 minutes ago, programmerdelphi2k said:

if the project is from old-IDE, did you try delete all files created by IDE, like *.dproj, and *.res etc... and building under RAD11.3?

Thanks for reminding me, I usually do that ( only this time tried to be smarter again ).

Taking the shortcut most of the time takes me longer in total, at least with *.dproj files.

If it not would be such a ridiculous mess to re-set all parameters in the options again and again.

This is on my feature whishlist no. 1 :classic_wink:

I have the opposite problem my *.proj have 40k worth of Ios and Android deployment yuch and I am using VCL and little FMX. However, when switching from 32 to 64 to prevent a bad compile, I use the syntax check Alt-p-s to freshen the DCUs.  Also, I try to load forms at runtime to reduce the files needed to be listed in .dpr, .dproj and .dproj.local.   

2 hours ago, Rollo62 said:

If it not would be such a ridiculous mess to re-set all parameters in the options again and again.

Regarding the project file, I think it would be more appropriate to have each project for all the IDEs you use. For example, if the project started with Delphi7, and now you are using RAD11.3, then you could keep the project files separate. Each in its own folder. In this way, you would simply add the units/forms in the *.dpr files, and, in theory, you would solve this infamous impasse.

this is my way:

• projectMyDelphiIsCrazy
    • all_units_forms_from_the_project
    • Delphi7_DPR_setup
    • RAD113_DPR_setup
    • etc...
Edited by programmerdelphi2k

Yes I keep all project files in separate subfolders, that is the cleanest was.

Nevertheless I copy first e.g. from D112 to D113, before I start from scratch.

Usally that can work, using RevertToDefault and other tweaks.

Of course, this way is not the last word in organizational technology, however, for simpler scenarios, where we always have to be aware that the project can be used in more than one IDE, then I think it helps a lot!

NOTE: in fact, I just only follow the basic idea in Delphi IDE projects, as you see almost all company distribute many folders, one for each DPK IDE.

in fact, you dont need copy all project at all... just create a new DPR file and add the units references into, and "paths" necessary!

Edited by programmerdelphi2k

Did you know that you can have multiple .dproj files referencing the same .dpr file?

You could have one for each Delphi version your project needs to support:

MyProg-2007.dproj, MyProg-XE2.dproj, MyProg-10-2.dproj and MyProg-11.dproj, all referencing MyProg.dpr.

Yes, I know.

I have separate folders not only because oder. dproj, but also for various Fixes units, that may change from version to version. 

Since I more doing cross platform this turned out to be the best strategy for me.

The .dproj is really the biggest headache because of its myriads of settings in an unmanageable XML Format unable to transfer options from A to B or even to verify in a diff tool.