PeterPanettone

Issue with code-editor toolbars

In Delphi 10.3.1 Rio, I have the Form Designer detached from the main IDE window:

image.png.ff3380d29f5f96525de533ef161cfd12.png

When the Code Editor in the main IDE window is focused, I have these 3 toolbars above the Code Editor:

image.thumb.png.773d6d0b6e7e1f206587cacbe5e6b300.png

The toolbars (2) and (3) are from MMX.

Toolbar (1) SUPPOSEDLY is a native toolbar from the Delphi IDE. But it seems not to be listed in the Customize list of toolbars? I have not found any way to hide this toolbar. How can I hide it?

Why do I want to hide it? First, its functionality is already contained in MMX, so this toolbar is a waste of space. There is also this problem:

When I select the form in the detached Form Designer then this toolbar (1) gets automatically hidden. When I then reselect the Code Editor in the main Delphi IDE window then this toolbar (1) automatically reappears which causes considerable flickering, and because of this flickering, a portion of code in the code editor gets selected which is VERY ANNOYING!

So how can I HIDE this toolbar (1)?

In Tools - Options - User Interface - Editor Options - Display uncheck Show Navigation Toolbar

• Like 2

Uwe, thank you very much, this was so annoying!

But this IMO is also a good example of a bad user interface. Imagine this situation: To turn on/off the light in the living room you would have to go to the bathroom because the light switch for the living room is in the bathroom. Obviously, the better solution would be to have the light switch for the living room directly in the living room!

1 hour ago, PeterPanettone said:

Obviously, the better solution would be to have the light switch for the living room directly in the living room!

Well, we still have IDE Insight. Press F6 or Strg-<dot> and enter navi: You will get a list where one element is the mentioned one (it is the last one in my case). Select and press enter and you are at the right place.

9 minutes ago, Uwe Raabe said:

Well, we still have IDE Insight. Press F6 or Strg-<dot> and enter navi: You will get a list where one element is the mentioned one (it is the last one in my case). Select and press enter and you are at the right place.

And how do I know that the name of this toolbar is "Navigation Toolbar"? This makes me think of the German fairytale "Rumpelstilzchen": "Oh wie gut, dass niemand weiß, dass ich Navigation Toolbar heiß!"

Edited by PeterPanettone

@Uwe Raabe can you help with similar problem as seen

The 2 arrows on the RIGHT of the component pallet (to move the component tab )

are not there since D10.1.0 the demo program.

I am using D10.2.3 and still no arrow.

On D10.2.1 neither .

ON DXE it is OK !!!

Can you convey the problem to Embarcadero.

1122550132_Screenshot-20_03_201912_01_28.thumb.png.3bc64d0a6d7ff32870fe57eeeba1df9f.png

Edited by limelect

3 hours ago, limelect said:

Are people still using that old component pallet? :classic_huh:

3 hours ago, limelect said:

Why don't you just file a QP report for that? What makes you think that I would do something different?

On 3/20/2019 at 3:02 PM, Uwe Raabe said:

Some people are addicted to traditional tools. For example, I love my old breakfast mug and wouldn't use another one.

22 minutes ago, PeterPanettone said:

Some people are addicted to traditional tools.

In that case they sometimes have to live with the drawbacks then.

On 3/20/2019 at 11:51 AM, limelect said:

@Uwe Raabe can you help with similar problem as seen

are not there since D10.1.0 the demo program.

I am using D10.2.3 and still no arrow.

On D10.2.1 neither .

ON DXE it is OK !!!

1122550132_Screenshot-20_03_201912_01_28.thumb.png.3bc64d0a6d7ff32870fe57eeeba1df9f.png

Please file a Quality report:

https://quality.embarcadero.com/

On 3/20/2019 at 4:02 PM, Uwe Raabe said:

Are people still using that old component pallet:classic_huh:

I would actually like to switch to the new component pallet, but for the life of me, I can't find the setting that switches between the old and new layouts.

On 3/20/2019 at 9:02 AM, Uwe Raabe said:

Truly a bit surprising, but if they continue to include that old palette, then they should at least ensure that it works. 

55 minutes ago, Yaron said:

I would actually like to switch to the new component pallet, but for the life of me, I can't find the setting that switches between the old and new layouts.

In fact, you can even have both:

The Old Component Palette is simply a toolbar which can be made visible or hidden via  View - Toolbars - Component.

The New Component Palette is a tool window that can be reached via View - Tool Windows - Palette.

Make sure to save your layout to make your changes permanent.

1 minute ago, Uwe Raabe said:

In fact, you can even have both:

The Old Component Palette is simply a toolbar which can be made visible or hidden via  View - Toolbars - Component.

The New Component Palette is a tool window that can be reached via View - Tool Windows - Palette.

Make sure to save your layout to make your changes permanent.

For me "View - Tool Windows - Palette" shows a new project selection palette window (similar to File -> New) and not the components palette.

I just realized that the "palette" window switches context between new project files or components based on whether you're editing code or the form. 🤯

Edited by Yaron