PeterPanettone

Lock MMX toolbars?

The Delphi IDE has a "Lock Toolbar" popup menu option:

image.png.4944c8c8246ae8b08465625559bedad3.png

However, even when this option is activated then the MMX toolbars are still movable:

image.png.1291941b8d45fa0a45a3e00d790347ef.png

Wouldn't it be better if the MMX toolbars would be locked too in this case?

BTW, the caption "Lock Toolbar" is misleading. It should be "Lock Toolbars" instead because it affects all IDE toolbars.

6 minutes ago, Uwe Raabe said:

That Lock Toolbar option is probably not standard, is it?

I am not sure what you mean.

2 minutes ago, Uwe Raabe said:

This option is not available in my Delphi. Perhaps a 3rd party plugin?

It‘s from CnPack.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, it has been confirmed now that the "Lock Toolbars" setting is from CNWIZARDS and not from the native Delphi IDE.

Since the Delphi IDE seems to have no native setting to lock the toolbars (which is a standard feature in most professional toolbar applications) I would suggest that MMX reads this setting from CNWIZARDS and locks/unlocks its toolbars accordingly.

What do you think?

Edited by PeterPanettone
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, PeterPanettone said:

Since the Delphi IDE seems to have no native setting to lock the toolbars (which is a standard feature in most professional toolbar applications) I would suggest that MMX reads this setting from CNWIZARDS and locks/unlocks its toolbars accordingly.

What do you think?

No chance!

It is difficult enough for MMX to adhere to its own settings and in some cases MMX even tries to adhere to the IDE settings. Why should I take the burden to look after some settings from any other 3rd party tool, especially one that I don't use by myself nor am planning to do so? What if several plugins offer such a functionality, which one to prefer? What if none of these is installed at all? Should MMX provide a similar setting for its own?

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Uwe Raabe said:

...and in some cases MMX even tries to adhere to the IDE settings. 

Good!

Why should I take the burden to look after some settings from any other 3rd party tool

I don't think that reading this setting would be extremely difficult.

especially one that I don't use by myself nor am planning to do so?

But many users do use the very popular CNWIZARDS.

What if several plugins offer such a functionality , which one to prefer?

That would be a design decision.

What if none of these is installed at all?

Easy: In this case, the default setting (not locked) would come into effect.

Should MMX provide a similar setting for its own?

Probably yes.

3 minutes ago, PeterPanettone said:

Should MMX provide a similar setting for its own?

Probably yes.

In that case it would override any other setting and looking for those would be senseless. That would be the only option I can think of implementing.

You shouldn't hold your breath for it, though. The theme support involves a complete re-architecture of the toolbar system and may force fixed toolbars in the first iterations anyway - possibly staying that way if there are not too much complaints. That doesn't forbid a toolbar customization of course.

16 minutes ago, PeterPanettone said:

But many users do use the very popular CNWIZARDS.

Well, I don't and I cannot see anything justifying to handle this tool different than any other tool - which is simply: As long as there are no incompatibilities caused by MMX I don't care about it being installed or not. 

• Like 2

If toolbar management is ever consolidated, that would certainly come from a substantial redesign of the IDE, and would certainly be a benefit. Similar to the issue of hotkey centralization. It would be rather silly for any plug-in to try to organize such things, as the various tool vendors would keep doing their own thing, and the task would be endless.

• Like 1

Just for whom may be interested: The CnWizards Lock Toolbars setting is located here:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\CnPack\CnWizards\CnPaletteEnhanceWizard -> LockToolbar

• Thanks 1