timfrost

My Object Inspector is broken

Something has recently broken my object inspector in Delphi 11 update 3, running on Windows 11.  If I click in any field, for example 'LeftMargin', the value is highlighted, but digits I type do not appear, and I cannot select any other field until after have pressed the Enter key, when the typed number also appears.  If I had last pressed up-arrow, the value next above in 'Left' is highlighted, and again I need to press Enter before I can select any other item. If I have clicked in another item before pressing Enter, the click has been remembered, and the focus moves to the last clicked item when I press enter to clear the original selection. 

My only items in the Experts registry list are Beyond Compare and GExperts, and removing them and restarting the IDE does not fix the issue.  The problem affects all projects and forms, even brand new ones. I have found no other applications affected. Rebooting changes nothing.

What should I try next?  The Object Inspector is effectively unusable.

This can also be a side effect of installing some design time package.

Thanks; but as is often the case, just posting a question is sufficient to find the solution.  I remembered that I had been experimenting with Windows compatibility properties for BDS.exe as well as with -highdpi:unaware a week or so ago (and, unusually, had not used the IDE much since). And now I find that it is overriding high DPI in the Windows properties dialog that attacks and damages Object Inspector keyboard and mouse actions, and this setting had been accidentally left in place; it has a similar effect on the display of the form in the IDE as -highdpi:unaware.  So I hope this thread may help someone else one day, but discovering my error has restored my sanity along with that of the IDE.