357mag

Looking for a forum is this it?

I've used C++ Builder to write many beginner type console programs and I've enjoyed it. I would now like to try making some simpler Windows GUI programs. But what I'm scared about is that I don't think there is that many people that actually use C++ Builder and thus there are not many forums that deal with helping people use the product. Not many books were ever written on it either. It seems like Microsoft dominates everything and my guess is that most people and companies use Visual Studio and not C++ Builder. 

My question is this. Is this the correct forum to help hobbyists like me (I'm mainly a guitar player who just programs as a hobby) write their programs?

I'm kind of hesitant to start writing Windows programs using C++ Builder and then I can't figure out how to write a line of code and finding out there is no help on the Web either.

:classic_cheerleader: welcome here...

Here is the right place for programming with C++ or Delphi. :classic_cool: Please make sure that you are always in the right subforum...:classic_rolleyes:

Edited by haentschman

I am a professional developer (for industrial control systems) and use Embarcadero C++ (mostly using the VCL framework) extensively. Yes, Microsoft dominate the Windows C++ arena, but Embarcadero C++ with VCL is a great tool.

Post questions in the C++ sub forum here on Praxis and (provided you clearly explain your challenge) there is a good chance you will get an answer.

8 hours ago, Roger Cigol said:

I am a professional developer (for industrial control systems) and use Embarcadero C++ (mostly using the VCL framework) extensively. Yes, Microsoft dominate the Windows C++ arena, but Embarcadero C++ with VCL is a great tool.

I'm a professional developer who worked for a company that used C++Builder (almost) exclusively for almost 20 years.

Okay Thank You for the replies. I think the only way I could ever write GUI programs using C++ is if I used C++ Builder. Every time I looked at Visual C++ code I was horrified at how different it looked and it also looked way too complex.

• Like 1

One thing to keep in mind is that there is a lot more information on how to use GUI stuff for Delphi than for C++Builder.  However it is very easy to convert and sometimes there is no conversion necessary if it is just adding and connecting things in the design mode.  So don't be afraid to check the Delphi sections of this forum out as well as using the "Delphi" tag when searching online for how to solve issues.  Your potential reach for help is bigger than it first appears.  

Edited by GP_23
  • Like 1

IMHO CB is an Emba's poor orphan compared to Delphi. It's full of quirks, awkward stuff, mysterious bugs and so on. My colleague uses it and struggles much with issues that I never have in Delphi or solve them quickly. He couldn't setup FastMM to catch memory leak, has no debugger on x64 and so on.

I've thought of learning Delphi too. I've got two books on it and there are more books available for it. Although I've always suspected not many people use it.

Edited by 357mag

47 minutes ago, Roger Cigol said:

This is somewhat pessimistic. For an optimistic look at the future go to this recent posting:

https://blogs.embarcadero.com/whats-coming-for-cbuilder-an-amazing-preview/

I do not insist - just expressing what I saw. User base is much smaller than Delphi's, RTL is not so pretty (i.e. strings, sets), you need dumb stuff to use Delphi units (externalsym and all this crap), compiler is always two steps behind, etc, etc...