Silver Black

Code completion stopped working on my project

Delphi 10.3.1, on my project code completion just stopped working completely, even on full rebuild or restarting the IDE. 😞 

That's a real shame, it never ever happened in 10 years with Delphi 2010 (it was perfect).

...and it came back, after some coding, building, seraching and runnings… Nice, but worrying.

Not able to reproduce it.

Do you use ant of the new in-line vars / const in your code as this is known to stop the IDE tooling working?

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Achim Kalwa said:

Any IFDEFs in your code? 

I guess you already restarted the IDE...

Yes, I wrote it.

There are several things worth trying if you haven't done it yet:

• Clean the project in the Project Manager, then rebuild.
  • Search and delete all .dcu files generated after your initial Delphi installation from your system entire system, and then rebuild. Search Everything is your friend.
  • I assume you don't use CN Pack's Input Helper? It has issues in the recent versions, I had to revert an early version (CnWizards_1.1.4.933_Unstable.exe)

21 hours ago, Silver Black said:

Delphi 10.3.1, on my project code completion just stopped working completely, even on full rebuild or restarting the IDE. 😞 

That's a real shame, it never ever happened in 10 years with Delphi 2010 (it was perfect).

...and it came back, after some coding, building, seraching and runnings… Nice, but worrying.

Not able to reproduce it.

When that happens to me the project is typically in a state that would not compile, with errors in a unit other than the one I am currently working on. If your project builds, however, I would suspect that you have duplicate files around, so the IDE works on files different from those the build process uses.

On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 10:44 PM, Achim Kalwa said:

Any IFDEFs in your code? 

I'm reading now: yes there are many.

11 hours ago, edwinyzh said:

There are several things worth trying if you haven't done it yet:

• Clean the project in the Project Manager, then rebuild.
  • Search and delete all .dcu files generated after your initial Delphi installation from your system entire system, and then rebuild. Search Everything is your friend.
  • I assume you don't use CN Pack's Input Helper? It has issues in the recent versions, I had to revert an early version (CnWizards_1.1.4.933_Unstable.exe)

Interesting. So how do I clean the project, with the clean option of GExperts? Which files do you advice me to select for cleaning?

Only *.DCU? In all my sysmte?

No CN Packs' Input Helper here.

10 hours ago, PeterBelow said:

When that happens to me the project is typically in a state that would not compile, with errors in a unit other than the one I am currently working on. If your project builds, however, I would suspect that you have duplicate files around, so the IDE works on files different from those the build process uses.

Duplicates? How is this possible?

5 hours ago, Silver Black said:

I'm reading now: yes there are many.

Interesting. So how do I clean the project, with the clean option of GExperts? Which files do you advice me to select for cleaning?

Only *.DCU? In all my sysmte?

No CN Packs' Input Helper here.

Duplicates? How is this possible?

Usually by copying a unit file via Windows Explorer instead of using the IDE's Save As menu. If you then just open the copy in the IDE it is not part of the project, that is still holding the original file you copied. It goes downhill from there, believe me. Have done it and have the scars to prove it :classic_blush:...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PeterBelow said:

Usually by copying a unit file via Windows Explorer instead of using the IDE's Save As menu. If you then just open the copy in the IDE it is not part of the project, that is still holding the original file you copied. It goes downhill from there, believe me. Have done it and have the scars to prove it :classic_blush:...

My God, I really have to check this out, thank you!