Steve Maughan

Advice Needed: PDF Graphics Rendering Suite??

I'm looking to implement high-definition printing and exporting for our mapping application. I'm planning to do this by creating a PDF. The solution will need to be able to create PDFs with custom polygons at a desired resolution.

I've done a brief search and Gnostice's eDocEngine seems to fit the bill. Before I dive in I thought I'd ask if anyone had any other suggestions or any feedback about Gnostice's solution,

Thanks,

Steve

Look into our OpenSource https://github.com/synopse/SynPDF project.

It is free, fast, creates small PDF, and you can draw your content using a regular VCL TCanvas: the same code could be used on screen and for the PDF.

Also note that there is no "resolution" in PDF, which is uses floating-point coordinates for its vectorial drawings.
If you generate from a TCanvas, your code will use integers, so here you may need to tune the resolution - just like with any VCL code.

Edited by Arnaud Bouchez

1 hour ago, Arnaud Bouchez said:

Look into our OpenSource https://github.com/synopse/SynPDF project.

It is free, fast, creates small PDF, and you can draw your content using a regular VCL TCanvas: the same code could be used on screen and for the PDF.

Also note that there is no "resolution" in PDF, which is uses floating-point coordinates for its vectorial drawings.
If you generate from a TCanvas, your code will use integers, so here you may need to tune the resolution - just like with any VCL code.

Interesting!! I'll take a closer look.

Thanks,

Steve

1 hour ago, Sherlock said:

OMG, that website is a total turnoff.

Sorry 4 the OT.

It's one of Joe Hecht's sites. He has a few and they all look the same. I gave him some similar honest feedback over on Google+ a few years' ago. He agreed, but nothing seems to have changed. It's a pity since I'm sure the components are decent. It would take no more than two days to replace these sites with a good WordPress theme.

• Like 1

On 3/28/2019 at 10:33 AM, Steve Maughan said:

I'm looking to implement high-definition printing and exporting for our mapping application. I'm planning to do this by creating a PDF. The solution will need to be able to create PDFs with custom polygons at a desired resolution.

I've done a brief search and Gnostice's eDocEngine seems to fit the bill. Before I dive in I thought I'd ask if anyone had any other suggestions or any feedback about Gnostice's solution,

Thanks,

Steve

Hello Steve, I would be very willing to help. If you need a high grade commercial solution, my UberPDF engine is quite good, and based on 33 years of PostScript and PDF code. I am just one guy and I spend most of my time coding PDF solutions rather than tweaking the web site for product sales. If you need "very good", the UberPDF SDK fits the bill. But please know, It is not some cheap Delphi PDF knockoff solution. We take things very seriously when it comes to PDF, and our goal is to deliver a "quality commercial grade" solution. Delphi support is a "bonus" (I am a former Borland engineer and I love Delphi), so I support Delphi (and Lazarus). The SDK is a "maturing" solution. It has been used for many years under a different name, and has enjoyed many millions of deployments. Currently, we offer the SDK  "on the cheap", but the price is quickly is rising as I add features (from a code base of 3 million lines of commercial PDF code) . End user sales is not our primary goal (our market is large  commercial customers), so there are currently no "Delphi demos". But if you need "very good", and you like being able to contact the guy writing the engine and getting custom support (and new features tailored to your needs), consider joining our little family of users, and growing with us. We do not have everything plugged in yet, but you can count on a SDK that is written 'by the book", and to exacting PDF specifications (per the reference), by a guy who has three decades of experience. I can be initially reached though our email gateway at https://uberpdf.org/email/

Edited by Joe C. Hecht
  • Like 1