hackbrew

Delphi Professional Database Connectivity

I have set up some test databases in AWS RDS (MySQL, PostgreSQL, and MariaDB). Assuming I have the proper user permissions for basic CRUD operations, am I able to connect to the databases with Delphi Professional (v10.4)? If so, what if any advantage would upgrading to Delphi Enterprise provide me for this task?    

9 minutes ago, hackbrew said:

I have set up some test databases in AWS RDS (MySQL, PostgreSQL, and MariaDB). Assuming I have the proper user permissions for basic CRUD operations, am I able to connect to the databases with Delphi Professional (v10.4)? If so, what if any advantage would upgrading to Delphi Enterprise provide me for this task?    

As far as I know FireDac is present in Professional but you only get the sources in Enterprise. Having the sources can help you to debug issues or easily create your own descendants of it's components in case you need to extend functionality.

If you need the sources but can not / don't want to upgrade to Enterprise you always can install a 3rd party library like Zeos.

• Like 1

As I understand it Firedac is not available in Professional. You need Enterprise for Firedac (or Architect)

I've asked many times for Firedac to be available, even at extra cost, to add to Professional and it isn't happening. I moved to Enterprise some years ago on a really good deal (at that time FireDac WAS available in Professional) but find I don't really need all the functionality in Enterprise and because of the cost of keeping at the latest versions I can't afford an upgrade. I'd prefer to go back to Professional but with so many of my projects using Firedac it would be a mighty task to re-write all the data access elements in them. 

So I'm never going to upgrade until something changes.

I've been able to get "FireDAC" in a 10.3 or 10.4 (I don't remember exactly as it was a few years ago), but it required copying a lot of files from RAD Arch! don't ask me which ones?
Of course, this was just a test for myseft, after all I was using RAD Arch!
but it worked... then I deleted everything!

22 hours ago, bazzer747 said:

As I understand it Firedac is not available in Professional. You need Enterprise for Firedac (or Architect)

I've asked many times for Firedac to be available, even at extra cost, to add to Professional and it isn't happening. I moved to Enterprise some years ago on a really good deal (at that time FireDac WAS available in Professional) but find I don't really need all the functionality in Enterprise and because of the cost of keeping at the latest versions I can't afford an upgrade. I'd prefer to go back to Professional but with so many of my projects using Firedac it would be a mighty task to re-write all the data access elements in them. 

So I'm never going to upgrade until something changes.

FireDAC is available in the Pro edition, but the licence does not allow connection to server databases, only to local ones, as far as I remember. So you can use a local Interbase DB, for example but not write a program intended to allow multiple users to access an Oracle server, for example, if you access it via FireDAC. But there are other options, like using DbGo (OLE DB, for which you need to get the appropriate drivers for the target database from elsewhere, e.g. Microsoft) or 3rd-party solutions.

FireDAC has always been part of the ver. Pro. But with the limitations already mentioned here:
Local DB only. Sometimes one could buy access to servers. Price > 600€
no source code
If you don't need the above, you've won.
Otherwise just a 3rd party solution. DevArt is not expensive. But it means reworking everything. It doesn't offer nearly the capabilities that FireDAC has. Of course, it depends on whether you've used them.
Asking 2,500€ for server access to DB with the understanding that we'll get a bunch of, for you and me, useless stuff is not worth commenting on.

OK, limited access to local connections. What possible use is that when developing for clients when most will require access to Server databases. More a 'marketing taster' of what FireDac can do to encourage an upgrade to Enterprise. I'd willingly go for Professional if full FireDac was available rather than sticking with Enterprise 10.3 as I can never see myself being able to justify the extremely costly upgrade to the latest Enterprise versions.

28 minutes ago, bazzer747 said:

as I can never see myself being able to justify the extremely costly upgrade to the latest Enterprise versions.

You are not alone in this. I've been able to afford to replace the FireDAC on my 2 small projects.

There's always a free Zeos or a cheap UniDac. Both have the added advantage of running in Lazarus.

• Like 3

On 5/19/2023 at 6:36 PM, programmerdelphi2k said:

I've been able to get "FireDAC" in a 10.3 or 10.4 (I don't remember exactly as it was a few years ago), but it required copying a lot of files from RAD Arch! don't ask me which ones?
Of course, this was just a test for myseft, after all I was using RAD Arch!
but it worked... then I deleted everything!

Not really relevant since making software this way would breach the license. 

• Like 1

I haven't found the exact restriction text. Is the connect limitation made in code or is a user's promise to not break the rules? Elementary port mapper proxy could turn any local connection to a network one...

Edited by Fr0sT.Brutal

I don't know if that's still the case. When I bought Adon(?) for FrireDAC, the supplier wrote to me:
Professional has everything as higher versions. Adon only unlocks access to multiple access functions.

1 hour ago, Stano said:

I don't know if that's still the case. When I bought Adon(?) for FrireDAC

it's already discontinued product

)

I know that. My post was a reaction and Fr0sT.Brutal

3 hours ago, Fr0sT.Brutal said:

Is the connect limitation made in code or is a user's promise to not break the rules?