Manlio Laschena

delphi 10.4.2 invalid compiler directive

I am experiencing the error on object, but only in debug mode 32B. If I switch to realease the code compiles and run without problem. Can you give me a hint where to look for mistake ?

Edited by Manlio Laschena
typing error

It's just few lines, beginning a simple app. Unable to find any trivial item.

-----------------------------

unit Unit1;

interface

uses
  Winapi.Windows, Winapi.Messages, System.SysUtils, System.Variants, System.Classes, Vcl.Graphics,
  Vcl.Controls, Vcl.Forms, Vcl.Dialogs, Vcl.StdCtrls,ABSMain,DB,DBCtrls;

type
  TForm1 = class(TForm)
    Button1: TButton;
    Edit1: TEdit;
    Edit2: TEdit;
    Edit3: TEdit;
    ABSDatabase1: TABSDatabase;
    ABSTable1: TABSTable;
    procedure Button1Click(Sender: TObject);
    procedure FormCreate(Sender: TObject);
      private
    { Private declarations }
     function Validatevoci(const voci:array of string):Boolean;
      public
    { Public declarations }
  end;

var
   Form1:TForm1;
   voci: array[0..2]of string; // = ('First name','Last name','email');

implementation

{$R *.dfm}

procedure TForm1.Button1Click(Sender: TObject);
  Begin

if inputquery('Pls enter data',['First name', 'Last name', 'Email' ],voci, validatevoci) then
    begin
     edit1.Text:= voci[0];
     edit2.Text:= voci[1];
     edit3.Text:= voci[2];
    end;

end;

function TForm1.Validatevoci(const voci:array of string):Boolean;
var
g:string;
begin
   g:=Application.Title;
   Application.Title:=' Errore ';    //per modificare il titolo del displaybox
  Result := (voci[0]+voci[1]+voci[3])<>'';
  if not result then
  begin
    showmessage('You must enter full Name and Email data');
    Application.Title:=g;
   // Button1.click;
  end 
  end;

procedure TForm1.FormCreate(Sender: TObject);
begin
   ABSDatabase1.DatabaseFileName:=ExtractFilePath(Application.ExeName)+'Customers.abs';
   ABSDatabase1.Open;
   ABSTable1.TableName:='Cust01';
   ABSTable1.Open;

Edit1.text:='';
     Edit2.text:='';
     Edit3.text:='';
end;

end.

voci[3] will cause an exception since its length is only 3, base 0.

No idea what this has to do with ICS.

Angus

voci[3] was due to my error to code when I am almost sleeping ! 

At the moment I can only code under release mode, but I must find a solution. 

A solution could be to turn the entry phase into a dll and start from scratch the real application hoping withou the invalid compiler directive.

I am confused. Never seen an exception only on debug mode.

Thanks for your time

Manlio

That error should be found by runtime range checking, probably enabled for release but not debugging.

Angus

2 hours ago, Manlio Laschena said:

g:=Application.Title;
   Application.Title:=' Errore ';    //per modificare il titolo del displaybox

Use form.caption here.  You can use Application.Title in .dpr. 

@Manlio Laschena 

you can try some like this:

implementation

{$R *.dfm}

var
  LArrPrompts: TArray<string>; // 3 elements
  LArrValues : TArray<string>; // 3 elements
  LAnswers   : TArray<string>; // 3 elements

function VerifyMyInputs(const AValues: array of string): Boolean;
begin
  LAnswers := [];
  //
  // your rules...
  for var i: integer := 0 to high(AValues) do
    if AValues[i].IsEmpty then
      LAnswers := LAnswers + [LArrPrompts[i] + ' is empty'];
  //
  result := length(LAnswers) = 0; // if "0" all it's right!  NOTE: im forcing "0" = true! but you can do it any other way!
  //
  if not result then // just for test on screen.. .do it as you want!
    Form1.Memo1.Lines.AddStrings(LAnswers);
end;

procedure TForm1.Button1Click(Sender: TObject);
begin
  LArrPrompts := ['First Name', 'Last Name', 'Email'];
  LArrValues  := ['', '', '']; // equals to LArrPrompts size!
  //
  Memo1.Lines.Clear;
  //
  if InputQuery('Caption', LArrPrompts, LArrValues, VerifyMyInputs) then
    Memo1.Lines.Add('ok');
end;

Edited by programmerdelphi2k

8 hours ago, Manlio Laschena said:

At the moment I can only code under release mode, but I must find a solution. 

A solution could be to turn the entry phase into a dll and start from scratch the real application hoping withou the invalid compiler directive.

I am confused. Never seen an exception only on debug mode.

You still haven't shown the actual 'invalid compiler directive' error, or what code the error is referring to.  That error is a compile-time error.  But you said your code compiles and runs, it was just experiencing a runtime error instead, due to accessing an array out of bounds.  So, what is the REAL problem here?

the problem is that I cannot run on debug mode. I said the code compiles only on release mode. 

I am just at the first lines of coding now. In the progress I will need to run on debug mode: no developer is perfect !!

If there's an error reported by the compiler, is possible for you to copy and paste that here? Is it possible that we can say the minimal code that reproduces the issue? 

At the moment you are asking us to give you directions but blind folding us. 

Hi David, do you really think I am so stupid to voluntarily blid people could help me ? It's enough to ask !

----------------

[dcc32 Fatal Error] F1030 Invalid compiler directive: '-AC:\Users\manli\Documents\Lavori\Projects\2023\Test\InputQuery\;Generics.Collections=System.Generics.Collections;Generics.Defaults=System.Generics.Defaults;WinTypes=Winapi.Windows;WinProcs=Winapi.Windows;DbiTypes=BDE;DbiProcs=BDE;DbiErrs=BDE'

---------------------------------

BTW I ported the app to another machine (windows 10) with Delphi XE5 and resulted no invalid compiler directive on debug mode. 

1 hour ago, Manlio Laschena said:

Hi David, do you really think I am so stupid to voluntarily blid people could help me ? It's enough to ask !

----------------

[dcc32 Fatal Error] F1030 Invalid compiler directive: '-AC:\Users\manli\Documents\Lavori\Projects\2023\Test\InputQuery\;Generics.Collections=System.Generics.Collections;Generics.Defaults=System.Generics.Defaults;WinTypes=Winapi.Windows;WinProcs=Winapi.Windows;DbiTypes=BDE;DbiProcs=BDE;DbiErrs=BDE'

---------------------------------

BTW I ported the app to another machine (windows 10) with Delphi XE5 and resulted no invalid compiler directive on debug mode. 

And what about the rest of what I asked for? 

Hi David,

At the beginning of that "story" I was requested to copy the code and I did (roll back). Then you are asking the error message and I did. There is no other info I "blind".  Don't understand what you are asking for . 

Hi David,

I completely agree with you. It's more then two hours I am debugging my project settings, with no result,

If you rewind my comments I have ported the code to a Delphi XE5 on another machine and I had no problems at all.

Unfortunately I cannot work on that computer and I have to come back to a windows 11 with Sydney.

It was just the starting of an app and now I decide to write again the few lines of code from the scratch on a new project.

I don't like it, as I remain with an unsolved bug. But as I know myself, having time, I will return to investigate. For my experience these type

of problems generally are very very very simple to Hide them behid silly things.

Thanks for your time

Manlio

3 hours ago, Manlio Laschena said:

This looks like a bad Unit Alias entry in the Debug configuration. Open the Project options and select Delphi Compiler. Check the Unit Alias entries for the different build configurations. You may spot the path name somewhere, which may be entered there instead of into the Search Path entry.

Edited by Uwe Raabe

You hit exactly the target. Thanks a lot. I wasted so much time.

Neverthless the alias pointed to the working folder, therefore I don't understand exactly why resulted in a invalid directive.

Would be interested to know your opinion. Generally the alias refer to a compatibility version.

A Unit Alias consists of a name-value pair like WinTypes=Winapi.Windows. It is used to map old unit names to the newer ones. A single folder name doesn't match that requirement.

@Manlio Laschena

another tip (normally always works)

• when porting old projects to new IDE, is always good create a new project (DPR at least), then just "ADD" all units/files into it. That way you are certains that all setup would be ok.
  • now, just update any particular setup and save you new Project in a folder to new IDE. Then, you'll have each project to each IDE using same unit files, etc...
    • and, as expected, you'll be able to use "compiler directives" internally in units to ensure that a certain encoding is targeted for each compiler version, for example!
  • little steps, saving many heartbeats!
    • old projects (DPRs/DPROJs) untouched!
Edited by programmerdelphi2k

1 hour ago, programmerdelphi2k said:

when porting old projects to new IDE, is always good create a new project (DPR at least), then just "ADD" all units/files into it. That way you are certains that all setup would be ok.

Except this is troublesome if you have important project settings defined in the dproj file

2 hours ago, programmerdelphi2k said:

now, just update any particular setup and save you new Project in a folder to new IDE. Then, you'll have each project to each IDE