dummzeuch

Things that every desktop program should do

Whole heartedly agree with you Thomas but if your working with VCL Styles aligned panels work better as I've found anchors do not always compensate for border width changes (even in the IDE, and yes its been reported).

On 4/3/2019 at 4:56 AM, dummzeuch said:

There are a few things that every single one of our internal programs should do:

• Every dialog should be sizeable if it makes any sense at all. Delphi makes that easy with the Align and Anchor properties. Ask yourself the following questions. If you answer any of them with Yes, ...

https://blog.dummzeuch.de/2019/04/03/things-that-every-desktop-program-should-do/

I would add that any dialog which reports an error condition  should allow the user to copy the text to the clipboard. 

• Like 2

Addition: if you have splitters or grid-style listviews with columns, save and restore their settings too

Storing dialog sizes and positions in the registry is not best practice imo and should be stored in %localappdata% or similar

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Stefan Glienke said:

Storing dialog sizes and positions in the registry is not best practice imo and should be stored in %localappdata% or similar

%appdata% surely. But why not the registry? 

5 minutes ago, David Heffernan said:

%appdata% surely. But why not the registry? 

One reason lies in the answer you just gave opposed to using %localappdata% ... the others you can find on google from various sources.

I too don't use the registry to store anything. I don't want to be part of the problem that created registry cleaners. And I don't trust uninstallers (or me) to completely free the registry from any thing I might have entered. It is easier to simply delete the %localappdata%\myProduct, for the user too, should I forget that 😉

The registry has become the same cluttered monster the win.ini was.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Stefan Glienke said:

One reason lies in the answer you just gave opposed to using %localappdata%

I can't make sense of this. You are implying that HKCU always roams? And that roaming is not appropriate for such settings? 

Edited by David Heffernan

1 minute ago, David Heffernan said:

I can't make sense of this. You are implying that HKCU always roams? 

The opposite - I suggested %localappdata% but you suggested the better %appdata% which roams - registry does not by default (to my knowledge)

Stored window sizes and positions (in whatever) should not roam, unless one can be sure that the user always has the same hardware.

That's why I switched to the registry from a centrally stored ini file (the latter could also be questioned, but in this particular case it makes sense to have a common configuration for all users).

34 minutes ago, dummzeuch said:

Stored window sizes and positions (in whatever) should not roam, unless one can be sure that the user always has the same hardware.

That's why I switched to the registry from a centrally stored ini file (the latter could also be questioned, but in this particular case it makes sense to have a common configuration for all users).

I don't buy that argument. Your program needs to be able to adapt to changes in screen resolution. When restoring the form layout you must deal with the screen resolution having changed, roaming or not. User can change resolution, font scaling, changes attached monitors, etc. 

Having said that, I am sure that an argument could be constructed to justify not having such settings roam.  In fact, using that part of the user profile that resides on the filesystem allows you to choose between roaming and local on a per setting basis.  That's certainly an advantage over HKCU.

Edited by David Heffernan
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, David Heffernan said:

must deal with the screen resolution having changed, roaming or not

So true. Everything else is just botching.

User setting belongs to roaming.

Edited by Attila Kovacs

6 hours ago, Stefan Glienke said:

registry does not by default

from: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/sysinfo/predefined-keys

All registry entries in HKEY_CURRENT_USER except those under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes are included in the per-user registry portion of a roaming user profile. To exclude other entries from a roaming user profile, store them in HKEY_CURRENT_USER_LOCAL_SETTINGS.

So many apps today no longer follows the Windows Theme color settings.  That annoys me.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lars Fosdal said:

So many apps today no longer follows the Windows Theme color settings.  That annoys me.

VCL styles anybody? 

38 minutes ago, Lars Fosdal said:

On the good side, they don't support pink goggles, either. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Lars Fosdal said:

Given some of the available color schemes that might be a feature. 😉

• Haha 2