John Kouraklis

Layouts in IDE

Can someone who knows the IDE inside out, write a fix for the layout setting?

The IDE does not remember the choice the user makes and it reverts back to default.

I have a layout saved already (can see it in the drop down menu)

Then I select it but when I repopen a project or the IDE is goes back to startup

That is a known bug feature of 10.2 Tokyo. Hopefully they manage to revert the old behavior that the IDE starts with the last selected layout. 

• Like 1

The simple solution would be to save the standard template under a different name and the custom layout under the standard name. This way everything works for the normal layout and a custom debug layout can be configured directly. So for me it works as I need it (use a custom layout, but be able to switch to standard).

But if I select a different layout in 10.2, the IDE remembers this selection when I restart it. (Tested with Delphi 10.2 Version 25.0.26309.314 with MMX and CnPack as well as with Delphi 10.2 Version 25.0.27659.1188 with both addons)

10 hours ago, John Kouraklis said:

Can someone who knows the IDE inside out, write a fix for the layout setting?

The IDE does not remember the choice the user makes and it reverts back to default.

Somebody (Achim Kalwa?) Submitted a patch to solve this to GExperts a while ago. I'm not sure whether has been a release since then, but you can always build your own DLL.

17 minutes ago, dummzeuch said:

Somebody (Achim Kalwa?) Submitted a patch to solve this to GExperts a while ago. I'm not sure whether has been a release since then, but you can always build your own DLL.

So, GExperts solve this?

2 hours ago, John Kouraklis said:

So, GExperts solve this?

I just tried it, but it didn't work. No idea what's wrong, because I am sure it did work when I applied the patch.

Workaround: Save your preferred layout as "Startup Layout".

Edit: It does work, but only if the "Your path is too long, do you want me to add even more to it dialog" is not being shown.

The IDE first show its startup layout and then switches to the one configured in GExperts. There seems to be no way to avoid this temporary startup layout (apart from overwriting the Startup Layout as suggested above).

GExperts-Force-Desktop-on-startup.png

Edited by dummzeuch

@dummzeuch Just an idea...could GExperts change the layout after a new project is loaded? There must be a service and interface in IDE for this. In this way, it would keep many people happy

13 hours ago, John Kouraklis said:

@dummzeuch Just an idea...could GExperts change the layout after a new project is loaded? There must be a service and interface in IDE for this. In this way, it would keep many people happy

Doesn't the IDE already do that? It annoys the hell out of me that my IDE window moves from my primary monitor to my secondary monitor when I open a project and moves back to the primary monitor when I close one.

12 hours ago, dummzeuch said:

Doesn't the IDE already do that? It annoys the hell out of me that my IDE window moves from my primary monitor to my secondary monitor when I open a project and moves back to the primary monitor when I close one.

Yes, that's right. Sorry, I  misunderstood what you wrote earlier :classic_wacko::classic_wacko:

GExperts behaves correctly with the layouts.

@dummzeuch....sorry again...

Well, I was right. When the IDE loads, the startup layout loads and GExperts then changes to the pre-selected layout.

What I meant is that the IDE starts and stays to startup layout and when a project opens then GExperts changes the layout 

I think 10.2.2 broke this, and 10.2.3 didn't fix it. I certainly don't like the idea of having to use 3rd-party addins to fix things that the compiler team broke.