Larry Hengen

Marshmellow

Anyone using Marshmellow from the Spring4D project?  Looking for a low overhead ORM that I can use to load and manipulate thousands of PODOs with.  Any feedback would be appreciated.

I would rather have a lot of things, but that's simply not how you can put food on the table.

4 hours ago, Tommi Prami said:

I would rather pay little to get non commercial use license.

1 hour ago, Holger Flick said:

I would rather have a lot of things, but that's simply not how you can put food on the table.

How is so, I just suggested that I would not want to use FREE version and would like instead to PAY something. 

1 hour ago, Tommi Prami said:

How is so, I just suggested that I would not want to use FREE version and would like instead to PAY something. 

So if you go into a restaurant you ask if you can pay less to pay for your meal? That makes no sense.

7 minutes ago, Holger Flick said:

So if you go into a restaurant you ask if you can pay less to pay for your meal? That makes no sense.

That is not even close accurate analogy.

If I go to restaurant, there is free meal and normal paid meal, I suggest restaurant, if I pay only little of the regular meal as i only will eat just a some portion of it.

And even that restaurant analogy is plain stupid, cause this is about having reduced price if not used to make money which is the point of full licence, it allows you to make money with it.

As same way that there is community edition of Delphi, which is super smart. If you like to tinker with it, it is free, but not an cripple ware.

15 minutes ago, Tommi Prami said:

That is not even close accurate analogy.

It is, because with software people always expect to get things cheaper and with discounts. Other things are just being paid for. 

I'll get out of this thread. I also think the initial question has been answered.

Aurelius is a commercial alternative that offers a free-version without source that will help to get a better impression of the product.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Usually there are trial-versions, free-versions and additionally 30-day-money-back. So for me there is no problem to evaluate and decide. We can´t expect vendors to deliver superior products, in-time support and usable documentation without being paid for.

Ah, and we want them to survive for as long as possible! So respect a good product.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TigerLilly said:

Usually there are trial-versions, free-versions and additionally 30-day-money-back. So for me there is no problem to evaluate and decide. We can´t expect vendors to deliver superior products, in-time support and usable documentation without being paid for.

Ah, and we want them to survive for as long as possible! So respect a good product.

That is different use case.

I would like to make something hobby stuff, not just evaluate. Maybe better to use some open Source Variants. That's why I would be happy to pay some, let's say 50€, but 150€ for something I am just interested in, and maybe never ever finnish, is too much. And would never make money from it or publish.

Could someone list what are out there (Orm solutions or something close to that):

- mORMot
- DelphiMVC

I'm a mORMot fan.

not just because I've successfully building several application (in production) basing on it,

not just because it's fully cross-platform and cross-compiler,

not just because it's fully documented (the PDF manual has near 2500 pages),

not just because the author @Arnaud Bouchez is full of passion, fast to respond, fast to fix issues and have a tendency to always optimizing for speed - just search their github commit logs (309 results for the word 'optimize', 'speed' and 'performance').

But also because mORMot has a good balance between a full-ORM  and raw SQL.

With raw SQL, CRUD become tedious and repetitive.

With full-ORM (which means thing data reading/manipulation has to go through the ORM framework), you'll find everything to be limited and hard to optimize beyond CURD and simple query.

With mORMot, CURD is easy (just define a class inheriting from TSQLRecord). Want to do more flexible things? Just utilize the power of SQL!

• Like 1

On 5/2/2019 at 12:09 AM, TigerLilly said:

Thanks I didn't think that offer was valid any longer (it says it expired Feb. 2019) but it does apparently still work.  I downloaded a copy just in case Marshmellow proves to be unworkable.

Right now I am hesitant to ask for the purchase of commercial component unless it's absolutely necessary and I think Marshmellow will work for me.

On 5/2/2019 at 12:48 PM, Holger Flick said:

Delphi ecosystem in a nutshell. Sell things that are available as open source in other languages. Not judging - just observing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stefan Glienke said:

Delphi ecosystem in a nutshell. Sell things that are available as open source in other languages. Not judging - just observing.

At least it's better than non-existence.

• Like 2

Not about Marshmallow, but ....

Looking for some "dynamic" ORM.
Makes it sense?

Have some DB Wizard for adding columns "on the fly"  (usable in reports, for example)

But in ORM universe I have no idea how to do that.

Thanks

• Like 1