PeterPanettone

Design Packages list is not resizable

In the Delphi 10.3.1 IDE, when I click on "Install Packages":

image.png.fddcc498711ec57613607f9c32c12c4f.png

...this window opens:

image.thumb.png.3e1eeb9568ba7795e5aae8291677bb68.png

While the height of the window can be resized (which you can see from the cursor in the screenshot), the list of the Design Packages has a fixed height.

So what sense does a sizeable window make if the height of the contained list is not being automatically resized together with the window?

Works for me. It has a minimum size though.

Ooops, no, you are right. That's a bug. I even think I reported that one before.

Edited by dummzeuch

Thomas, thanks for the confirmation.

I have also not yet discovered the purpose of the Search field in the title bar of this window (attention, this is sarcasm):

image.png.c338b3fd01a9bbef6365def08d691c27.png

The package names cannot be searched/filtered with this control. Is this a bug?

Edited by PeterPanettone

However, this window seems to remember its previous size and adjust the list size to the window size when the window is opened.

So, to enlarge the list size, the window must be 1. Enlarged, then 2 closed, then 3. Reopened. A bit cumbersome, but it works.

39 minutes ago, Uwe Raabe said:

David Millington explains in his blog post New in RAD Studio 10.3: Options Dialog Improvements in the section Dialog Search.

Thanks for the link to the article, but it does not answer this question, as the results from this search field are completely UNRELATED to this dialog:

image.thumb.png.3fddae3d962c7eee0dbc58acff804ee7.png

In fact, the hints popping up from this search field are related to other IDE dialogs. So this search field seems clearly a colossal BUG.

Having a search field in this dialog searching e.g. for options is more or less useless as there are only a few options in this dialog:

image.png.25d0130c816565081e213ad528ef6bdc.png

Much more useful in this dialog would be searching/filtering the package names in the current list.

I cannot imagine the kind of deep mental confusion which obviously led to this particular BUG and UI disaster.

Edited by PeterPanettone
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, PeterPanettone said:

In fact, the hints popping up from this search field are related to other IDE dialogs.

"The Dialog" in this context is the whole Project Options dialog - not only this special part of it about Runtime Packages. That is even exactly what David describes in his article.

Like the main Options dialog, we hope these new categories will make it easier to find options. When you know what you’re looking for, the category names are aimed to be understandable and clear so you can correctly intuit where the settings will be.

But what if you don’t know what you’re looking for, or if the category names aren’t explanatory for you? We’ve added dialog-wide setting search in both the IDE and Project Options.

That windows desperately needs an filtering, it is very hard to find stuff from it. Adn sometimes important info is not at beginning nor end of the line.

There is a bigger problem with this form, you can't select and copy the path on the bottom.

Both could be done from an expert, and would be the preferred way, before someone redesigns the whole thing.

(No, it's a Label with the path <o>)

Edited by Attila Kovacs

1 hour ago, Attila Kovacs said:

There is a bigger problem with this form, you can't select and copy the path on the bottom.

Both could be done from an expert, and would be the preferred way, before someone redesigns the whole thing.

(No, it's a Label with the path <o>)

GExperts adds a button which opens an explorer window. You still can't copy the full file name though, just the directory.

But adding a read only edit field would be possible too...

• Like 1