giomach

Application shortcut problem

Using Delphi XE Update 1 (2010)

I'm trying to set the application icon to one I have created, and have this icon appear on a desktop shortcut to the application.

The first screenshot shows the .dpr file. I don't know why both *.res and *.dres are present, they just appear and disappear.

The second screenshot shows that I have no "additional" icons in the application. The *.dres has disappeared when I removed a previous additional icon.

The third screenshot shows setting the MAINICON.  I would prefer to choose the 256x256 79KB one, but this gives "out of system resources" — but that's a separate problem.

So I choose the 48x48 10KB version, and the fourth screenshot shows it loaded.  I now rebuild the application.

The fifth screenshot shows Resource Hacker confirming that this is the only icon in the application.

The sixth screenshot shows another utility also confirming it.

I now create a desktop shortcut to the application. The seventh screenshot shows the result — Delphi XE's default icon on the desktop instead of the one I want.

I know I can tweak the shortcut to get the icon I want, but this is no use.  I need this icon automatically on the shortcut created by the installation of the application on other machines.

Any help welcome.

Screenshot (98).png

Screenshot (99).png

Screenshot (100).png

Screenshot (101).png

Screenshot (102).png

Screenshot (103).png

Screenshot (104).png

Is this shortcut to the exe what Delphi compiles?

Windows Explorer caches the icon of executables and shortcuts so you might need to clear that cache for you to see the icon you just set.

• Thanks 1

Many thanks, aehimself.  As soon as I cleared the icon cache, the desktop icon changed to the one I wanted, without even having to recreate the shortcut. That was indeed the problem.