Clément

Delphi XE, dbExpress, SQL Server 2016 and TLS 1.2

Hi,

In this project I must use Delphi XE with dbExpress. I'm connecting against a SQL Server 20xx....
There's a customer requesting a TLS 1.2 only setup. 

Using sslscan I get this result:

SSL/TLS Protocols:
SSLv2     disabled
SSLv3     disabled
TLSv1.0   disabled
TLSv1.1   disabled

TLSv1.2   enabled
TLSv1.3   disabled

With this setting I'm unable to connect my sample project ( TSQLConnection only ). When activating the connection an error is raised (attached image)

When reactivating the other verions :

SSL/TLS Protocols:
SSLv2     disabled
SSLv3     disabled
TLSv1.0   enabled
TLSv1.1   enabled

TLSv1.2   enabled
TLSv1.3   disabled

Everything works fine. 

I'm searching the web, but the only two parameters I found out, are not working with the XE version of dbExpress. I wondering if there's any way to connect to SQL Server via TLS1.2 only setup.
(https://stackoverflow.com/questions/65050540/tls-1-2-sql-server-and-delphi-client)

Are there any other parameters I can try?

image.thumb.png.efd7858907d09e04b0788ab8f676feaf.png

Tia,

Clément

Could try a different dbExpress driver for SQL Server like the one from Developer Express (dbExpress Driver for SQL Server (devart.com)). Has a 30-day trial so can test it and then decide. 

Note the Microsoft SQL Client(s) and versions can be a bit of a mess with 32bit and 64bit being separate and the names changing over the years. Make sure they are up to date and the correct 32 or 64 bit plus older clients are cleaned out.  

Edited by Brian Evans

23 hours ago, Brian Evans said:

Could try a different dbExpress driver for SQL Server like the one from Developer Express (dbExpress Driver for SQL Server (devart.com)). Has a 30-day trial so can test it and then decide.  

Note the Microsoft SQL Client(s) and versions can be a bit of a mess with 32bit and 64bit being separate and the names changing over the years. Make sure they are up to date and the correct 32 or 64 bit plus older clients are cleaned out.  

I will try it. Thanks

I build a small sample using vanila dbExpress using Delphi 11.3 to try to connect to SQL Server in a TLS 1.2 only setup. No joy. (It seems to me dbExpress is linked to Native Client 10 or 11 only)
The way I managed to connect is using dbExpress Driver for SQL Server (trial version). From either Delphi XE or Delphi 11.3. Very simple. Good job!

Using other tecnologies: ADOConnection, ZConnection, FDConnection etc worked fine on in both IDE. I just can't migrate this project from dbExpress to any of these.

I believe dbExpress is like the BDE - included/available but not really kept up to date at least regarding what is included with Delphi. That is why I suggested the DevArt drivers which have seen more development since the Delphi XE5 days when FireDac was introduced as a replacement to overcome the unidirectional nature of dbExpress.  

See how dated the SQL Server version are in this list for example: dbExpress Supported Database Management Systems - RAD Studio (embarcadero.com)

Well... after all, this is a Delphi XE project. This is the first bump after all this time