Carlo Barazzetta

Shell Controls: losts... and found!

A HIDDEN GEM IN DELPHI SOURCES (SHELLCONTROLS)
Many times I intercept requests on the WEB from Delphi developers for components of the Windows "Shell" (similar to Windows Explorer) that were once present in Delphi (maybe in Delphi XE3), which have "disappeared" from the Delphi components palette. Those components are:
- TShellComboBox
- TShellListView
- TShellTreeView
- TShellChangeNotifier
The good news is that those components are still there and have also been updated over time, but the packages are missing and are therefore not installed "by default" in the Delphi IDE 🙁
So we have prepared a Repo on Git-Hub containing the packages of these components, to facilitate their installation in the Delphi IDE and therefore their use.
The prepared packages are for different versions of Delphi, starting from Delphi XE6 up to Delphi 12 and are available here:
https://github.com/EtheaDev/DelphiShellControlsPackages
In the same repository there is also a small Demo that shows the components "in action", also reconstructed from a demo present only for C++ and transformed in Delphi Pascal.
bye
Carlo

ShellControlsDemoDesktop.jpg

• Like 5

I have to point that they are not installed by default for good reason, so i recommend to install them only on project bases instead of keep them installed and laoded on the IDE.

These components will bring huge overhead from Windows GUI shell, background threads, hooks, etc... they will affect the IDE stability and responsiveness and bring Windows Defender hooks in your IDE, so nice to have them on specific projects but not all the time loaded with the IDE, you can install them and disable them from loading and enable them only when needed in a project.