Unktneemo

Software only creates an error in RemoteApp

Hi, i work in IT Support, and i'm trying to configure a delphi-based to run in RemoteApp.

I do not have any access to the code, but when this software is open via RemoteApp it has errors in some parts, this is the error:

image.png.b6988cfcbe26a9c6f735618ef650564c.png

It ONLY creates an error when its ran by RemoteApp, via RDP it works normally.

I just want to know if it is something of Windows or inside Delphi, so i can talk to the programmers.

I support some programs that are accessed via RDP and when I was first researching remotely running apps, I tried RemoteApp briefly but had a similar problem. While I don't recall what the exact cause of it was in that instance, it has to do with the application assuming resources are accessible in the same manner as they are when run from a standard Windows desktop--which RDP provides. It may have been something simple like checking for the screen size or something. In any case, we had to modify the program and even then only run it via RDP. I'm sure it would work through RemoteApp if it was a fairly simple program but when the Delphi code calls Windows API functions that are either not supported or return unexpected values and they aren't handled properly, weird things can happen.

Sorry I don't have a better answer but yeah, you'll need to talk to the programmers.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, corneliusdavid said:

I support some programs that are accessed via RDP and when I was first researching remotely running apps, I tried RemoteApp briefly but had a similar problem. While I don't recall what the exact cause of it was in that instance, it has to do with the application assuming resources are accessible in the same manner as they are when run from a standard Windows desktop--which RDP provides. It may have been something simple like checking for the screen size or something. In any case, we had to modify the program and even then only run it via RDP. I'm sure it would work through RemoteApp if it was a fairly simple program but when the Delphi code calls Windows API functions that are either not supported or return unexpected values and they aren't handled properly, weird things can happen.

Sorry I don't have a better answer but yeah, you'll need to talk to the programmers.

Thank you very much, i am going to contact them to get some help. I was somewhat confused, because they say that there is no problem with the software.

7 minutes ago, Unktneemo said:

hey say that there is no problem with the software.

Yep, the software I was testing was very mature software, having run for hundreds of clients around the US for many years. And, like you noticed, some parts work fine, other parts raise errors. There may be simple software fixes to get around those--really depends on the program and what it needs to do.

5 minutes ago, corneliusdavid said:

Yep, the software I was testing was very mature software, having run for hundreds of clients around the US for many years. And, like you noticed, some parts work fine, other parts raise errors. There may be simple software fixes to get around those--really depends on the program and what it needs to do.

Also, i have another instance running on other locations around the state, with RemoteApp. And they are working fine. Same windows, same software.

It began to fail recently. That is the strange thing.

I don't know if it could be the database from the PC itself? I don't know.

2 minutes ago, Unktneemo said:

Also, i have another instance running on other locations around the state, with RemoteApp. And they are working fine. Same windows, same software.

It began to fail recently. That is the strange thing.

Oh, some instances work fine? Then perhaps the users getting the error are accessing the one part of the program that doesn't work well with RemoteApp. It'd be interesting to know what the difference is between the ones that work and the ones that don't.

One thing I remember from testing is that the software seemed to work fine while the user was in the main program; messages popped up, multiple windows, database access, fine (with permissions set properly).  But the software was split into about four applications and when they needed to launch an ancillary program, there were problems getting to it. RemoteApp likes to be in control of the programs that are launched and, IIRC, this was the biggest hurdle we faced.

17 minutes ago, corneliusdavid said:

Oh, some instances work fine? Then perhaps the users getting the error are accessing the one part of the program that doesn't work well with RemoteApp. It'd be interesting to know what the difference is between the ones that work and the ones that don't.

One thing I remember from testing is that the software seemed to work fine while the user was in the main program; messages popped up, multiple windows, database access, fine (with permissions set properly).  But the software was split into about four applications and when they needed to launch an ancillary program, there were problems getting to it. RemoteApp likes to be in control of the programs that are launched and, IIRC, this was the biggest hurdle we faced.

The only difference i can see right now is the version of the software, the one that works is 10.10.x, the one that does not work is 10.15.x, as it was updated when the problems became to appear.

I will get the access credentials for the software and try the same thing in this other device, so i can see if the error still shows, and then i'll return.