Dan1979

How to install a new version of Delphi without losing components

Hi, I would like to ask a question regarding the installation of a new version of Delphi, for example upgrading from Delphi 10.4 Community Edition to Delphi 11 Community edition.

How can I keep all the components from previous installation?

Lets assume that I have a separate folder like D:\Delphi\Components where I have absolutely every component that I use. 

Also, the list of library paths I can copy line by line to a text file and reenter them into the new installation library path list. I assume I can also find this list in registry and if the registry branch has the same format I can reuse it for the new installation.

What about the rest? I know is not enough to have the library paths entered and using the same folder for those library paths. When I installed the components I had to Build/Install the components in order have them build into the palette. 

So in other words, how to obtain all the previous installation packages and components into the new installation?

I know that I might ask something that is a bit too far fetched and safest way would be to do it manually.

But then, If I install same version of Delphi on 2 separate computers, how can I bring everything (packages, components, palette, paths) from one computer to the other?

I assume that copy paste keeping the same exact directories and copy paste the registry paths from one computer to the other would solve the problem?

In Delphi components are not binary compatible between major releases. You will have to modify your existing components or obtain the version for Delphi 11. After that you have to compile and install runtime packages. That's the main reason why there is no automatic option to obtain installed components from a previous versions.

PS. Usually it requires a minimal change in the source to move a component to the next version of the Delphi.

In case of the same version of the Delphi in 2 separate computers there is a migration tool, I've never used it.