Sign in to follow this  
Robert_Ha

FireDAC Mongo driver, CA and SSL certificates

Hello everyone,

I' trying to understand where I get the certificate files for the SSL certificate and CA certificate from. I have to specify them in the FireDAC connection component. With the component I want to connect to the Azure cosmos DB for MongoDB (vCore).

Do I need to get them from somewhere like " www.digicert.com " or do I get them from Azure itsself?

Connection parameter:

SSLPEMKeyFile -- is the path name to the .pem file that contains the SSL certificate and key.

SSLCAFile -- is the path name to the .pem file that contains the certificate from the Certificate Authority (CA).

(Source: https://docwiki.embarcadero.com/RADStudio/Athens/en/Connect_to_MongoDB_Database_(FireDAC))

Thanks in advance.

Robert

Edited by Robert_Ha

Thanks for the reply, but as far as I understand, neither source describes or mentions how I get the certificate files. Only that I need them. Can you provide more details?

Your app is connecting to MongoDB as a client. The common authentication method is username/password. Your app only needs its own TLS certificate and key if the MongoDB server is configured to mandate client certificate authentication, as described here: https://www.mongodb.com/docs/manual/reference/configuration-options/#mongodb-setting-net.tls.allowConnectionsWithoutCertificate.

(I listed three relevant URLs, but the forum software decided that three URLs => this post is spam, so now just one. Duh.)

Ask your MongoDB admin whether the database mandates client certificate authentication. If the answer is no, using username/password should work. Azure Cosmos DB MongoDB, by default, works with username/password over TLS.

If it's FireDAC that expects client certificate and key to be specified for username/password authentication, ask your FireDAC support. Actually just try not setting those two parameters and see if your app works. But note this disclaimer from the FireDAC link:

Note: The MongoDB C driver has been compiled without SSL support. If your application requires SSL, you should compile the MongoDB C driver on your own and provide an additional set of required libraries. These libraries might require the OpenSSL and Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime libraries.