Sign in to follow this  
shun

Verifying Compatibility Between C++Builder 5 and the Latest Version

Hello,

I am currently using C++Builder 5 Enterprise Edition for an internal system, and I would like to upgrade to the latest version of C++Builder to verify compatibility and ensure smooth operation.

However, I am considering using the Community Edition for this testing phase.

Could you please let me know if the Community Edition is suitable for verifying compatibility and functionality of an application originally built in C++Builder 5 Enterprise Edition?

Are there any limitations I should be aware of when using the Community Edition for such purposes?

Thank you for your assistance!

37 minutes ago, shun said:

Are there any limitations I should be aware of when using the Community Edition for such purposes?

The only limitation I can think of that will most probably be a big no for you is the revenue clause for the companies that want to install the community edition (https://www.embarcadero.com/products/cbuilder/starter):

• Licensed for use until your individual revenue from C++Builder applications or company revenue reaches $5,000 US or your development team expands to more than 5 developers

It is meant only for a start-up companies that don't have a product yet. I safer choice would be to test your code base using the trial version.

Does your C++ Builder 5 use any features that are "Enterprise" edition only? if so you would need to make sure you have access to these in the Trial edition.

C++ Builder 5 used String = AnsiString - all modern editions use String = UnicodeString. This can be need a bit of work if you are using low level processing of the String types. Often this change is hardly noticed.

You would need to decide if you are going to stick with the "Classic" compiler (which does still come with 12.2) or move to the Clang compiler which immediately gives you access to modern C++ constructs but

can also highlight non-standard (ie not quite standard) coding practices that worked under the classic compiler but don't work with modern C++. My view is that it's worth the effort to move to the modern tool 

chain.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Roger Cigol said:

Does your C++ Builder 5 use any features that are "Enterprise" edition only? 

Thank you for your response. Could you tell me how to check if there are any features that are exclusive to the 'Enterprise' edition?

14 hours ago, Roger Cigol said:

You would need to decide if you are going to stick with the "Classic" compiler (which does still come with 12.2) or move to the Clang compiler which immediately gives you access to modern C++ constructs but

can also highlight non-standard (ie not quite standard) coding practices that worked under the classic compiler but don't work with modern C++. My view is that it's worth the effort to move to the modern tool 

chain.

You recommend migrating to the Clang compiler, but I feel that continuing to use the Classic compiler might be more beneficial since non-standard coding practices that worked with the Classic compiler might not work with modern C++ under Clang. Could you explain the advantages of migrating to Clang