shun

Conversion of Older C++Builder Versions to C++Builder 12

I have some slightly outdated information, but it was mentioned that versions prior to C++Builder 6 could be converted into an automatically convertible format by first opening them in version 2007.

I found this video that discusses it: 「Delphi/C++Builderマイグレーション作業を手間をかけずに完了させる方法」 第1回「コード」 - YouTube

My question is: Do I need to go through this step with the latest version, C++Builder 12, in order to convert older versions?

I would definitely recommend to create a new project with C++Builder 12 and then add the used files to the project. The project file structure has changed a long time ago to support multiple build configurations (debug/release, win32/win64).

You should also convert all DFM files to text (with C++Builder 5), so you any easily track modifications done by the upgrade.

Regards, Hans

• Like 1

3 hours ago, shun said:

My question is: Do I need to go through this step with the latest version, C++Builder 12, in order to convert older versions?

It is generally best NOT to open an old project in a new IDE, but to instead create a new project fresh and add your existing source files to it as needed.  This has always been the common advice given through the years.

25 minutes ago, hansw said:

I would definitely recommend to create a new project with C++Builder 12 and then add the used files to the project. The project file structure has changed a long time ago to support multiple build configurations (debug/release, win32/win64).

You should also convert all DFM files to text (with C++Builder 5), so you any easily track modifications done by the upgrade.

Regards, Hans

thank you!

25 minutes ago, Remy Lebeau said:

It is generally best NOT to open an old project in a new IDE, but to instead create a new project fresh and add your existing source files to it as needed.  This has always been the common advice given through the years.

thank you!