I have never liked the idea of a hash, and I use an implementation of a ternary seach tree as a dictionary. I based it on an article in Dr Dobb's Journal in 1998, and it has stood the test of time!   I have versions for C and Pascal; the latter for AnsiChar, WidwChar 32-bit and WideChar 64-bit keys. It is incredibly fast and easy to use, and has reasonable memory consumption, unless of course you load a million random 100-byte keys (which takes only a second or so). It has various ways to load and look up keys, and to traverse the set; values can be integer, object or string. I use it it in many different ways, both to match a full key and to find the longest initial partial key. On updating a value, the space used by the old value is not recovered, but that suits most of my uses as a dictionary; and the unit does include a function to rebuild the data store for a dynamic application, if you can spare a second to do so.  In its simplest form:     tree := tTSTtree.Create;
  tree.insert(key, value);
  q := tree.match(key);
  if (q <> nil) then s := string(pchar(q));

The source is reasonably well commented, and I would be happy let you have a copy, but I have never got around to properly documenting it and uploading it somewhere.

• Thanks