I was pondering on what I could do to simplify doing ad-hoc queries and minimize the scaffolding code required, so I came up with this.
Note that this code was yanked from one of our units, and hence is not directly runnable as it is missing some functions, and the code that sets up the connection, etc. - but it should give you the general gist of it works.

It is not pretty nor perfect, but it works, and if there are glaring mistakes or potential problems, I expect you will tell me all about them 🙂   unit SomeUnit; type   RUser = record    id: Integer;    name: string;  displayname: string; end; implementation procedure TSomeClass.ListThoseUsers(const aDB: TDatabase); var Users: TArray<RUser>; begin Users := DB.SelectArray<RUser>('select id, name, displayname from v_users'); // Do whatever you need to do with the user list here end;
I am pretty sure that you can create records with fields of types that will cause the TValue conversion to fail horribly, but this deals fine with the basic types as well as enumerated types.

Note that the record type needs to be declared in the unit's interface section to get the proper RTTI.
Doing a test run from at home to a database server in Trondheim, 700km away - the logs showed
SelectArray<SomeUnit.RUser>("select Id, Name, DisplayName from v_users") returned 161 rows in 0:00,024 
24 ms is not blisteringly fast, but acceptable.
  function TDatabase.SelectArray<T>(const sSQL: String): TArray<T>; var Info: String; StopWatch: TStopWatch; Query: TFDQuery; Retry: Boolean; FieldName, RetryMsg: string; rType: TRTTIType; RecField: TArray<TRTTIField>; DBField: TArray<TField>; fx, rx, rc: Integer; begin Retry := False; repeat if Connect then try if Retry then RetryMsg := '#RETRY ' else RetryMsg := ''; StopWatch := TStopWatch.StartNew; rtype := TRTTIContext.Create.GetType(TypeInfo(T)); Info := RetryMsg + 'SelectArray<'+rtype.QualifiedName+'>("' + sSQL+ '") '; Query := TFDQuery.Create(nil); Query.Connection := Connection; Query.ResourceOptions.ParamCreate := False; Query.FetchOptions.Mode := fmAll; Query.FetchOptions.Unidirectional := Unidirectional; Query.SQL.Text := sSQL; try Query.Open; rc := Query.RecordCount; if (Query.FieldCount >= 1) and (rc > 1) then begin RecField := rtype.GetFields; // Fetch field list from record type SetLength(DBField, Length(RecField)); try // Lookup record fields in database result set. Will raise exception if field not found for fx := Low(RecField) to High(RecField) do begin FieldName := RecField[fx].Name; DBField[fx] := Query.FieldByName(FieldName); end; except on E: Exception do begin Info := Info + ' - Field ' + rType.QualifiedName + '.' + FieldName + ' was not found in result set.'; raise; end; end; // for each row in the result set SetLength(Result, rc); for rx := 0 to rc - 1 do begin for fx := Low(RecField) to High(RecField) // for each field in the record, transfer row field to record field do begin if RecField[fx].FieldType.TypeKind = tkEnumeration then RecField[fx].SetValue(@Result[rx], TValue.FromOrdinal(RecField[fx].FieldType.Handle, DBField[fx].AsInteger)) else RecField[fx].SetValue(@Result[rx], TValue.FromVariant(DBField[fx].Value)); end; Query.Next; end; if DebugLogging then DebugOut(Info + ' returned ' + rc.ToString + ' rows in ' + TimeSpanToStr(StopWatch.Elapsed)); end else begin SetLength(Result, 0); end; finally Query.Free; end; Retry := False; except on DBE:EFDDBEngineException do begin LogDBException(DBE, Info, Retry); if not Retry then RAISE; end; on E:Exception do begin LogException(E, Info); RAISE; end; end else raise EDbConnectionFailure.Create(Info + ' DB Error: Could not connect.'); until not Retry; end;