mandalf

10.3 -> 10.4 license upgrade problem

Recently my company purchased an upgrade from Professional to Enterprise license so I downloaded and installed 10.4.1 to my test machine.

Yesterday my 10.3 Professional installation on my production machine refused to start because the Professional license has expired, and it doesn't accept the Enterprise license although it is just a superset of Professional.

Embarcadero support told me I have to uninstall and reinstall. It would take me several days to find all the components and packages I had, if I even make them to work on 10.4. I have a deadline to deliver software and I don't have hours, not to mention days to waste.

Does anyone know if there is a solution better than the reinstallation? I downloaded the 10.3.3. ISO to try to do the upgrade of license through the installer, but the Setup.exe doesn't even work.

Re-Installing Delphi doesn't mean you have to install all components. If you opt to keep the registry entries (and obviously don't remove any components yourself), you should have all your components available after Delphi Enterprise is installed again.

Just now, Uwe Raabe said:

Re-Installing Delphi doesn't mean you have to install all components. If you opt to keep the registry entries (and obviously don't remove any components yourself), you should have all your components available after Delphi Enterprise is installed again.

Uwe, thank you for your quick answer! Do you mean: First uninstall 10.3.3. Pro & keep the registry entries, and then do the 10.4.1. Ent install? Sounds too good to be true, to be honest :).

Even a Delphi  Update requires uninstalling first, which usually is handled by the setup itself (at least for the web-installer). I have done this several times and each time my Delphi environment kept intact.

Thank you Uwe for saving my nerves. Everything went as charm and 90% of components were preserved. The other 10% I installed with ease. 

Although I must note that 10.4 installed itself as a separate installation, never noticing my existing 10.3.3 so I had to run a 10.3.3. install. It then updated my previous installation from Professional to Enterprise. I used web installers in both cases.

I guess it would be too much to expect for it to migrate everything to the next version. Either way, I am satisfied I can go back to work.

On 11/25/2020 at 10:35 PM, Uwe Raabe said:

Delphi comes with a MigrationTool for this. I haven't used it myself, though.

Just tried it. Apparantly it does not migrate installed components & packages, only settings.