Dave Novo

Cannot debug when using MSBuild

I am using Delphi Seattle and have a project group with two projects inside. One is a console app, one is a vcl app.

For my debug settings I have all the proper things set to generate debug info etc etc. If I have the project settings set to NOT use MSBuild, everything works perfectly.

The problem is that Delphi does not release the memory from the build process. After the first EXE compiles, memory goes to 1.6 GB. After the second compiles, it goes to 2.9 GB. It never releases the memory back to windows. It sometimes runs out of memory during the compiles, other times not.

So I thought to use the out of process build and check off "Use MSBuild to externally compile". Everything compiles file, except I can no longer debug. When I put a breakpoint on a line, it turns green when the program launches, as if there is no debugging information. Its driving me bananas. 

This is for a win32 windows compile.

If I try this in a blank VCL application with just a form and a button and a line of code in the button click, I can break on the button, but it jumps to the CPU window and not to the source when it breaks.  This is even when I put the path to the source in the Debugger->Source Path for the project. This went away when I included remote debugging symbols. So I added that to my project and still could not debug.

Does anyone have any tips for getting msBuild to work. I do have "include remote debugging symbols" turned on in the both whether or not MSBuild is selected.

Edited by Dave Novo

1 hour ago, Dave Novo said:

Does anyone have any tips for getting msBuild to work

here a post by Ken White on SoF about: Green highlight on Debug using MSBuild

Debug info isn't present in the file.

• Make sure that you're using the Debug configuration. (Project Manager tree, expand Build Configurations, make sure Debug is bold. If it's not, right click Debug and choose Activate from the context menu.) Make sure you then do a Build of your project, not just a Compile.
  • If that still doesn't work, go to Project->Options from the IDE's main menu, click on Compiling under Delphi Compiler, and check the Debugging section on the right half of the window. Make sure that Debug Information and Local Symbols are both checked. If you're trying to trace into the VCL's own source, also check Use debug .dcus (you'll want to turn this off and do a full build of your project as soon as you're done, as it gets annoying when you're debugging normally). Again, you'll want to build and not compile.
  • If all of the above fails, another possibility is that the code unit you have open in the Code Editor isn't the same one being seen by the compiler. Make sure you don't have multiple copies of the file on your computer in a location that the compiler might find first. If you're not sure, delete the .dcu files with that unit name and then do a build of your project, and see if the newly created .dcu is in the location you'd expect.

If not, try read more info here http://docwiki.embarcadero.com/RADStudio/Sydney/en/How_To_Compile_and_Build_Applications

hug

Edited by Guest