Sign in to follow this  
Stano

You know something about it

Sorry, google translator

You can do a lot with Delphi IDE. I use one delphi subuser with different sets of installed components.

Run command:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Embarcadero\Studio\21.0\bin\bds.exe" -pDelphi -rMyEnvironmentXYZ

ensure that a brand new branch ../Embarcadero/MyEnvironmentXYZ is created instead of ../Embarcadero/BDS/22.0 in the registries. It's almost as if you installed a new delphi, normally the introductory wizard will start which theme you want to use, the IDE is completely reset almost like after a clean installation without any additional settings, you don't have any additional experts installed or any external components.

Next, I will set it up so that all packages and their dcp and other compiled files are stored somewhere in Document/MyIDEworkspaces/MyEnvironmentXYZ. You have to play with it for a while and learn how to set everything up. Next, I copy the components that I want to use in the given XYZ environment to Document/MyIDEworkspaces/MyEnvironmentXYZ/daco/daco, and even after installation, all compiled files are placed in these directories.

Next, I just zip the Document/MyIDEworkspaces/MojeProstredieXYZ directory and export the branch ../Embarcadero/MyEnvironmentXYZ from the registers, and after reinstalling the entire Widnows/delphi, you can easily transfer it to another computer if you have the same version of Delphi.

I've been using it for years because I sometimes need to recompile old projects years later and it works like a charm.

I think it's safer than trusting some tool, but I'm not saying that the migration tool shouldn't work. But exactly when I need to restore an environment after 12 years, it's better if I know exactly step by step how I did it, than if some tool did it for me, which I then lose and can't find...

Edited by Stano
  • Like 2