TurboMagic

Code coverage wizard plus

Hello,

do good and talk about...

I'm currently shortly before releasing a new tool. It''s named "Delphi Code Coverage Plus"

and is a completely rewritten and improved version of "Delphi Code Coverage Wizard".

You can already get it on GitHub and it already works, the things before a 1.0 release I want to do

are mostly cosmetic ones.

Here is the link: https://github.com/MHumm/delphi-code-coverage-wizard-plus

Now what can it do for me?

• It is a GUI tool which can generate everything needed to run the commandline Delphi Code Coverage tool
  • that Delphi Code Coverage tool would run your unit tests and find out which lines of code your unit tests
    are actually run by the unit tests and which ones are never reached

Why did I rewrite it and what's new/improved?

• The former Wizard (remember: I only reworte the wizard, not the command line tool itsself!)
    would generate the batch file to run the command line tool and create other necessary files, but
    if you changed something in your Delphi project, you would have to update these files/batch file
    yourself manually
  • The new wizard got rid of JVCL components so it uses only what comes with Delphi itsself, which
    hopefully makes it easier for others to contribute
  • The new wizard introduces a project format so you can load and modify an existing project, e.g. if you
    added more units to your project or need a different output format
  • The new wizard can add itsself to Delphi's Tools menu if you like.
  • The new wizard stores his position and window sze so it opens the same positionand with the same size
    new time it is started
  • The new wizard should be HiDPI capable
  • The new wizard can directly show the HTML output if you selected that one as output format

What else is there to know?

• it was developed with 11.2, but most likely will compile and work fine with 10.4
  • For isntallation download the ZIP from GitHub or clone it, then open and run the project file
  • There are plans to release it via GetIt package manager as well
  • If you like this tool you can "star" it on GitHub 😉
  • Like 4

Just to let you know that I just submitted the form to get it published in GetIt. Now that's EMBT's turn 😉

• Like 1

Gah! I'm sorry to report that a bug crept in.

There's still some dependency on JCL or so in there at some place.

I'll try to fix this tonight. So if you don't have JCL/JVCL installed it
will not run at the moment.

• Like 1

I found out by talking to the one posting the bug report on the DE Delphipraxis forum, that this does not seem
to be in the wizard but rather in the coverage tool itsself. We'll investigate. I cheched my project source and

it has no JCL/JVCL units in its uses at all.

I just commited an updated version:

1. I fixed a bug where empty paths/file names were added to the .lst files under some circumstances.
    This really upset CodeCoverage.exe (it created an av in ntdll.dll!)
  2. The log-file output path is now the same as the report output path.
  3. The links in the new about dialog are opened in the browser now.
  4. If you pass a file name as command line parameter the tool will act as if you had clicked "Open" in
    the tool and loaded the file.
  5. I added some screenshots to the readme on GitHub.

That's not a new release yet but some good improvements in my eyes. More should be comming over the next few days.

Master branch is updated with new code and some documentation (format of that needs fixing though):

there are some command line params now -O for opening and -R for opening and running a project file and Tools menu
integration has been reworked to contain two entries now.

If you place your DCCP project file inthe same directory as the dpr/dproj, you can run it from tools menu now...

Enjoy!

Just to let you know that the development branch of that project now contains a much improved version, which will be released as V2.0 in the near future.

What did improve?

• Fixed issues with units whith dots in their name by adding some parameter automatically
  • Updated the version of CodeCoverage used to a current one, thus the generated HTML output looks much nicer
  • Added further output formats
  • Added further parameters
  • Added the possibility to specify any parameters not already covered by the wizard
  • Added the possibility to specify where these additional parameters will be placed in the generated batch file
  • Create output dir etc. if that doesn't exist yet
  • Bugfixes