lookin030577

Where to put previously compiled dcu-files (subfolders in Lib folder)

Hello everybody!

I have another question which is related to the compilation of old packages. To compile my old project, I was needed to put some source *.pas/*.dcu files into "Lib" folder within IDE folder (as it was typical for Delphi 6, e.g. "C:\Program Files (x86)\Embarcadero\Studio\21.0\Lib") - just the units that are referred to in "uses" section. The folder contains a set of subfolders for different OS, so I have to select appropriate one to copy the old files into debug/release subfolders. I am working on Windows 7 (SP1) 64-bit version (as I can see from the System info as well as from the info provided by Delphi), but if I select "win64" to put files there, the compiler warns me that it is unable to find the compiled *.dcu files. However, if I select "win32", the compilation is succesful. Am I wrong with my understanding what is the 32/64-bit? 

Thanks in advance!

I think that a simple "LIBRARY path  = << your folder with files >>" will be enough, not?

then, you can have any folders with any version... and in your "Tools->Language->Delphi->Library" you can define "where (folder) find your files", for each platform used!

LIBRARY path = dcus compiled (release) or your ".pas" to compile in-time

BROWSE path = your ".PAS" to Code Editor help you when coding... 

DEBUG dcu path = dcus used when in Debug mode!

NOTE: you can use "SEARCH ..." in your project: Project->Options->Delphi Compiler->Search Path

that way, you dont need use "LIB" folder from RAD! 

You put your files wherever you like, just make sure you add those paths to the global / project settings.

Copying them to the Lib is not a good idea so please don't do that 🙂

Let's say you create a folder, C:\DelphiComponents and you start to put your components here. For example, you download ICS and extract it to C:\DelphiComponents\ICS directory.

In Delphi, go to Tools -> Options -> Language -> Delphi -> Library. The easiest solution is to add the folder where all source files are to the Library path field in all platforms, in our example C:\DelphiComponents\ICS\Source.

At this stage you are ready to install and use the components and you don't have to worry about DCU locations, as the component will compile from the source and compiled DCUs will be placed in the project's own .\$(Platform)\$(Config) directory.

Basically,

Library path: the place Delphi will look for a referenced file, can either be a pre-compiled DCU or a .PAS source file. DCUs should be compiled in Release configuration

Browsing path: locations where the editor's Code Browsing will look for source .PAS files when navigating

Debug DCU path: in case you have pre-compiled DCUs in Library path, you can specify the same DCUs but in Debug configuration. During debugging these will be used so you can step in and debug the components source

My suggestion is you set your library path to the source of the component and forget about platforms and configs if you are unsure.