Sign in to follow this  
dummzeuch

Is there any way to save / restore the position of the Debug Inspector?

The "Evaluate / Modify" window (which you get with Ctrl+F7) has a button "Inspect" which for objects opens a "Debug Inspector" window.

In my Delphi 10.2 installation (but probably other versions too) this window always opens on the left hand side of the monitor, right below the menu.

I can move it around, even dock it somewhere, but I found no way to persist this position. Saving the current desktop layout, closing the window and reopening brings it back to the same starting position, not where it was when I saved the desktop. Restoring the desktop does not move this window.  If it was docked, restoring the desktop undocks it.

Similarly there seems to be no way to persist the windows opened by the TActionList, TMenuBar and TPopupMenu property editors.

Is it just me being stupid or is there no way to save / restore those window's positions (and preferable sizes too)?

Edited by dummzeuch

As shown in the title bar of the mini-window, a new thread (each Debug) is launched every time the "Inspector" function is called... so the window is created in its own environment.

Trying to save the mini-window's new position, and then saving the Desktop.Dsk file again, as you've seen, doesn't work.

Even if you put a "read-only" attribute on the file, the IDE does the following: it checks that the file is write-protected, and creates a backup and a new Desktop.dsk file, this way it is not possible use this "hack".

It could be possible to change only the values referring to the "Inspector" in the section "[PropInspDesignerSelection]", however, as a new mini-window is created at each call of the "inspector", this also does not seem to work for me here.

[PropInspDesignerSelection]

ExpandedItems=Anchors=0,BorderIcons=0,Constraints=0,Font=0,ImageMargins=0,LiveBindings=0,"LiveBindings Designer=0",Margins=0,GlassFrame=0,HorzScrollBar=0,Action=0,"Drag Drop/Docking=0","Help and Hints=0",Input=0,Layout=0,Legacy=0,Linkage=0,Locale=0,Localizable=0,Miscellaneous=0,Visual=0,Padding=0

Just out of curiosity, after changing the position of the miniwindow and resaving the Desktop.dsk, I saw that the values are changed in at least 10 different places inside the Desktop.dsk file.

And in the registry, there is no reference to changes, at least here in my test. it's all on-demand, as expected!

Edited by programmerdelphi2k
  • Thanks 1