A.M. Hoornweg

Win32 remote debugging broken on Windows 11 ?

Hello all,

I'm having the worst of times trying to get remote debugging to work between a VMWare virtual machine (running Delphi 11.3, Windows 11 prof) and the host machine itself (Also Windows 11). I have disabled the firewalls on both the host machine and the VM so these won't interfere.

I've installed PAServer of Delphi 11.3 on the host machine,  then started PAServer, not specifying a password.

In the VM I start Delphi, select Run -> Attach to process -> then select "Embarcadero Windows 32-bit debugger"  -> Remote machine.

I create a new profile that connects to the host machine using the correct IP address, press "test connection" and it says "connection succeeded".  So far, so good.

But when I press "Finish", Delphi freezes for a while, then says "unable to connect to remote host". 

I've also tried starting both PAServer and Delphi as administrator. It makes no difference.  The remote debugging functionality seems totally broken. 

And by the way - how does one *delete* PAserver profiles? The drop-down list is getting full and I want to get rid of them.

Profiles on Registry -> \HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Embarcadero\BDS\22.0\RemoteProfiles

try this:

1. remote target
    1. test if any app dont block the ip/port for your tests ( "netstart -a" ...   or any other tools for tests)
    2. test if any user can read/write files, etc... on disk
    3. install PAServer, let it running in a port (ex. 65000) - normally, no needs Admin
  2. computer with Delphi (the same or remote )
    1. run Delphi, and open your app for debugging... normally, no need Admin too!
    2. define the profile: IP/Port with IP from remote target + platform
    3. run your project with debug...

You should see a console window of "RMTDBG280", which will run and link to your Delphi session, so if you close this window the IDE may freeze, so you will have to close the IDE via TaskManager.
when compiling the project you may see the following line in the Delphi message window: "C:\<<Delphi folder>>\PAServer32\rmtdbg280.exe -listen"

NOTE: after run in debug mode, and close the app... my "RMTDBG280" console window does not close... if I close it, in the next run-debug mode my IDE froze ... 🙂

If you are unable to open the RMTDBG280 console, then it might be the reason for your frozen IDE.

I installed PAServer on the same MSWindows running Delphi, and no debugging problems were found... it was possible to debug the project, even using the same 64bit desktop.

scratch dir in the same pc:  C:\Users\<<WIN user>>\AppData\Roaming\Embarcadero\PAServer\scratch-dir\WIn10H22-Win64Local2\Project1\...my exe + rsm files

NOTE: pay attention in the taskbar with RMTDBG icon... there you can close with sucess your console!

Edited by programmerdelphi2k

I de-installed and re-installed PAServer on the host machine and re-started the computer several times.

Now, all of a sudden, the connection succeeds!