Sign in to follow this  
AlanScottAgain

Advice, Please - Notifications

Hi,

This is my scenario....
I have an exercise app that will be able to set reminders to do the exercise daily up to 2 times a day.
I need to create a notification that will remind the user to the exercise. Taping the reminder should open the app - to record the exercise has been done.

The reminders will need to be active after a reboot and work on both Android and iPhone.

After reading lots of articles.. I'm completely  confused and would like some pointers, Please.

Thanks
Alan

PS it would be good if I could send a notification if the exercise has not been done/logged on the app.

Edited by AlanScottAgain
update title

14 hours ago, AlanScottAgain said:

The reminders will need to be active after a reboot and work on both Android and iPhone.

On Android, for notifications to still work after a reboot, you would need to persist them in some way, and recreate them, *and* have the app start at boot. I have an example of how to have an app that starts at boot, here:

https://github.com/DelphiWorlds/Kastri/tree/master/Demos/AndroidStartAtBoot

This is a demo from Embarcadero of how to create/send notifications:

https://github.com/Embarcadero/RADStudio11Demos/tree/main/Object Pascal/Mobile Snippets/Notifications/SendCancelNotification

As discussed above, if you want to recreate the notification at device start you would also need to persist them somehow, e.g. using a database, or perhaps as JSON, read the data and recreate the notifications when the app starts. You would need to handle when a notification is received, so that you remove it from the persisted notifications.

On iOS, as far as I know you are out of luck regarding recreating notifications at device start - there does not appear to be anyway for an app to handle this, without the user starting the app.

Thank you David,

Do I need to create a service app to read the data and recreate the notification after start up? Would that work on iOS?