hoaque

Exception illegal instruction (0xc000001d) in Windows Preinstallation Environment 8.1

I need to run a small program in the Windows Preinstallation Environment, my program works fine on v7 & v10, but crashes on v8.1.

Windows 8.1 ISO: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows8

On the Windows Installer window, I press Shift+F10 to open CMD, then I run the program from there.

Here is the example code, I'm using Delphi 11.3 CE:

program Project3;

{$APPTYPE CONSOLE}

{$R *.res}

uses
  System.SysUtils;

begin
  WriteLn('Test');
  ReadLn;
end.

Here is the result if SysUtils is included:

2023-05-30_112723.thumb.png.6aa9dd5acb66d5d152abf24f59d35bc2.png

Here is the result if SysUtils is not included, so I suspect the problem comes from the SysUtils unit.

2023-05-30_112702.thumb.png.32ec10fb4091a0a7d5b7d05698975ed5.png

I'm new to Delphi recently and don't have the ability to debug in this case. Please help, thanks for everything.

Edited by hoaque

@programmerdelphi2kI see what you mean, this operating system is not full of components. But a lot of applications can run on this environment. The confusing thing is that my program can run on WinPE 7 and WinPE 10 but not on WinPE 8.1. The error given in my opinion is not related to missing components.

11 minutes ago, hoaque said:

The error given in my opinion is not related to missing components.

really I dont have tested a scenary like your, but RAD is dependent of some DLL/BPL in some scenary, then, as your MS8.1 is not complete yet.. it would can when using some function from System.SysUtils not? (just expeculation)

Edited by programmerdelphi2k
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, programmerdelphi2k said:

@hoaque  my tip is look at https://docwiki.embarcadero.com/RADStudio/Alexandria/en/Installation_Notes

as your Windows is not installed yet, then, can be the "cause" etc.. 

Which part of this would apply to sample program in original post? Windows 8.1 is not listed as supported platform, but if Windows 7 is supported, then that should not be an issue. And if it works Windows 10 PE, then that makes it unlikely, that it uses something like AVX. Although, compiling it with all optimizations off would be something to try. Other thing would be to remove SysUtils usage... Just in case, that it is something in SysUtils initialization. As I understand, problem is not with IDE but with statically linked command line program, that only uses System and SysUtils units.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Virgo said:

Which part of this would apply to sample program in original post? Windows 8.1 is not listed as supported platform, but if Windows 7 is supported, then that should not be an issue. And if it works Windows 10 PE, then that makes it unlikely, that it uses something like AVX. Although, compiling it with all optimizations off would be something to try. Other thing would be to remove SysUtils usage... Just in case, that it is something in SysUtils initialization. As I understand, problem is not with IDE but with statically linked command line program, that only uses System and SysUtils units.

I compiled the program in the Debug configuration with the Optimization option turned off but the problem persists.

Update:
I installed and compiled the program with Delphi 10.4.2 and everything works as expected.

Edited by hoaque